Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday January 12, 2014

At work all this morning I was thinking about how I wanted to hike with my family. Of course,  I never actually voiced this to them, instead just hoped that when I got home they would magically all be ready to trek through the woods with me.

I got off work fairly early and was home by 1:30. I walked into what I, possibly overreachingly, refer to as 'squalor'. But suffice it to say, the apartment smelled like the cat box, someone was lying in bed watching football, and certain people were still in their footie pajamas.

I cleaned up for about an hour, requested that people put on day clothes, and then, right before I decided to start what Jay refers to as, "passive aggressively vacuum" (translation: vacuum), I thought: I have a choice. I can spend the next hour cleaning and being mad at these fuckers, or I can proceed with my original plan.

So, Jay found us a trail and we headed to a hiking destination we had never been to before. It was wet, and mossy, and beautiful, just the way I like it.

(Can you believe that even after almost four years we still find new hiking places? I'm thinking we haven't even cracked the surface.)

We hiked for about 30 minutes before someone bitched about needing to see "civilization" again. Which is fine. I know my people. I know they need to get back to texting and Tweeting and Instagraming their meals, and I'm ok with that.

All I ask is that they occasionally work in some woodsy nature time with me. And once in a while clean the cat box.


5 comments:

Theresa said...

I am dying over the "Passive Aggressively Vacuuming" comment. I passive aggressively wash dishes when I'm upset. That hike looks lovely!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

"passive aggressively vacuum"....that's hysterical!

Anonymous said...

That place looks magical :)
I love your Blog, maybe you can help me with mine i´m new :) I like to write and cook dinasour cakes

Jessie said...

I love it. Write more. I demand it.

Anonymous said...

I vacuum like that ,but i grumble and occasionally bump into things a little harder than i should.