Sunday, January 26, 2014

2013 Books

I only read 15 books last year, the lowest amount since I began keeping track of such things.

Every year I aim to read 50 and if I'm being honest, that number is a bit high for my life. But I'm still going to continue to try for it because, even though I doubt I'll hit it, I like to see how close I can get.

Anyway, here's last years list:

1.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

2.  Portlandia by Fred Armisen

3.  Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

4.  The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

5.  The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

6.  Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris

7.  Attempting Normal by Marc Maron

8.  Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan

9.  The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

10.  Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne

11.  The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

12.  Turn Around Bright Eyes by Rob Sheffield

13.  Someone Could Get Hurt by Drew Magary

14.  Further Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

15.  The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson

Book related notes:

*Early in the year, Peggy sent me Let's Exploring Diabetes with Owls and this was probably my favorite book of the year. I love David. And Peggy. (BTW: I know it's been years, but still when I say Peggy's name, I think of this Peggy.)

*My second favorite book would have to be Attempting Normal by Marc Maron. Whom, I got to see in May. Which made me unspeakably happy since I've loved him for years.

*Seeing Rob Sheffield was another highlight, sadly I have no pictures though Dammit.

*I actually really liked all the books I read this year, I think because I didn't waste a lot of time on books I wasn't into.

*Armistead Maupin is going to be at Powell's this week. I'm itching to go and my usual date for this sort of thing will be away on business. Shall I go alone?


2 comments:

Theresa said...

I barely read anything all year. And I'm fairly certain that 100% of what I DID read were books I had already read before. So you did way better than me! LOL

Daphne said...

I haven't counted my books from last year yet... I'm dreading it because I know it will be PALTRY. But, that's because I actually have a life now, so that's a decent tradeoff I guess. Also I chose to read really big books so that brings down the count, right? Book count is arbitrary -- page count would be more accurate, but even then... different size pages. How about word count. Then we could all be obsessive and weird and be all accurate and stuff. But some words are longer than others... you see how this can spiral out of control...