Thursday, July 18, 2013

Not Perfect









So.....this week we went to the beach. I love a lot about these photos. The grey skies, the horses in the first picture. I love the way my children are clearly conspiring in picture number two. She looks so little next to his teenage bigness. For a brief moment they got along. My boy, a handsome almost-adult. My girl, so kind and pretty.

What I don't love? Pretty much everything that happened after these photos.

She was cold. And sandy. And wanted to take a shower.

He wanted to eat. He's 15, he always wants to eat.

I wanted to sit on the towel and finish my book. Two days later, my book sits unfinished.

Jay wanted to walk to the big rock. He didn't make it.

I feel like these moments aren't mentioned enough. Those moments when you as a parent want everything to be perfect but yet they turn to shit. You have everything planned. You know how it's supposed to be. But then someone is too cold/tired/hot/wet/hungry/miserable/etc.

So you pile back in the car and turn up the radio because even if the song sucks at least you aren't hearing these jerks complain anymore.

But.

Then.

You stop for Subway. Shitty, non-exciting Subway. Someone makes a joke about something silly and, for whatever reason, everyone ends up being in a good mood for the rest of the ride home. There are jokes, silliness, tickles, and Macklemore.

Was the day perfect or as I planned? No. Far from it.

But it wasn't a waste.


12 comments:

Visty said...

My expectations are the bane of my life. Always and forever. The pressure I feel to meet them is usually what ruins things, not the circumstances. We went to the beach too, recently. I actually CRIED when we couldn't find a parking spot in the town we wanted and had to drive, drive, drive forever, using up our precious sunlight. But we made it and it was fine.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

First thought that went through my mind when I looked at these pictures was how your son was so tall and broad. He is looking so man like. Man-child at 15. And Lucy is no longer looking like a little girl. Boy I've been reading you for awhile and those pics made me see that. I enjoy the ride with you Tammie. :-)

Aleta said...

And this is why I love your blog posts! So very real!

Daphne said...

Lucy is turning into such a pretty girl! And Monty is so big. I know those times -- they happen even without kids! It's such a reminder that expectations create burden and stress. Flexibility -- so easy to talk about, so difficult to achieve -- is key. And also, the ability to find fun and laughter even when things go other than planned, which you and your family are so adept at doing.

Daphne said...

Case in point: I had this nice comment all written out and perfect, and then the blogger moderation thingie ate it when it rejected my "I'm not a robot" attempts. Basically: yes. And humor helps a lot too!

Cyndy Bush said...

I totally get ya. Happens here all the time. Someone is in a bad mood or not getting enough attention (usually the hubby - ha!)...someone is always whining. Sometimes me. =)

Carla E said...

Oh this happens far too often we plan perfection and yet we're not perfect people so ..... Glad it turned out though.
Love the realness!

Run Lori Run said...

Ah yes, expectations. Alas, my life will never be anything like what is chronicled in Martha Stewart magazine...

Michelle said...

Well said. :)

Michelle said...

I'm currently getting ready to leave for a road trip up to North Georgia, with Hal and the kids. I keep thinking about this post and reminding myself that yes, this is what I can expect. It will be a mix of awesome, chill, and stressful. You described a family outing very well and with honesty. :) Also, I deactivated my FB account - going for a full year of no FB, and maybe for the rest of my life! So, naturally, I want to write more and read more blogs, which is far more satisfying.

Anonymous said...

Just one final post? Please....maybe?

Tammie said...

oh anonymous, i know i need to write. im just so tired and busy! ill try!