Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What I've Been Reading Lately

So......I've only read eight books so far this year, which surprises me because I feel like I've been reading pretty regularly. Just reading slower than usual I guess. If this pace continues I'll end the year with my lowest book total in the six years I've been keeping track of titles.

Since I hardly ever write about books anymore, I thought I'd take a few moments to mention the eight (seriously, it's almost June! EIGHT?!) books I've read this year.

*Gone Girl

This book about a husband who may or may not have killed his wife was fantastic. In fact everything Gillian Flynn writes is nothing short of amazing.  Flynn's three books have changed me and if you read nothing else ever, please read them. I'm forever in debt to Daphne for first introducing me to this brilliant author.


*Portlandia: A Guide for Visitors

I love the show and I love Fred and Carrie. I enjoyed the book but I don't know if I would have liked it as much if I didn't live in Portland. At times it just felt like a re-hashing of the show.

*Girl with a Pearl Earring
I always say that I hate historical fiction, but then I read some and find out that it's not so bad. This was read for book club and I did like it, but I would have liked more of it. It ended with me feeling unfulfilled.

*The Language of Flowers
Victoria, a young girl who's aged out of the foster care system, finds a job with a florist and uses her knowledge of floriography to create magical bouquets that have the power to change the lives of those who receive them. Meanwhile, Victoria works to clean up the mess she's made of her own life.

Chick lit is another genre that I like to say I hate, but then I read something beautiful and well written and I'm forced to change my opinion. The Language of Flowers was a book club book although we never had the meeting to discuss it. Sadly, book club is in limbo right now since the general consensus is that most of us find one member hard to be around. I think I might need to find (or create) a new book club.

*The Almost Moon

I enjoyed The Lovely Bones and had high hopes for this book by Alice Sebold about a woman who murders her dying, abusive mother. But the story dragged and I found myself skimming through most of it.

*Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
Yay for David Sedaris! His last book was a huge, sad disappointment that made no sense to me. This is classic Sedaris and I loved it. I was so excited when Peggy sent me this book along with a box from Godiva. Chocolates and a book? Yes please.

*Attempting Normal

I LOVED this book. But, as mentioned before (in this post), I've loved Marc Maron for a long time. When I was in high school I sent away for an autographed picture. At that time he hosted a show on Comedy Central called Short Attention Span Theatre. About a year ago I found that photo, scanned it, and emailed it to Maron. His response? "Wow." That sort of thing is thrilling to me. But yeah, I loved this book, I love his podcasts, and I love his show on IFC. For what it's worth, Jay likes him too, so I'm not just being a crazy fan. But I am a crazy fan.

*Dad is Fat

I like Gaffigan. Jay and I saw him in Miami once and we laughed until our sides hurt. The book was okay but I didn't love it, but that was most likely because I read it immediately after reading the Maron book. Sorry Jim, I'm a Maron gal all the way.

So that's what I've been reading.

 I recently started I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell (sexist, misogynistic, maybe racist) and The Joy Luck Club. It's an odd mix, I'll admit.



5 comments:

Daphne said...

Oh! I loved Joy Luck Club. Sometimes I wish I'd never read any Amy Tan so I could read all of her books again... (and of course I adore Gillian Flynn!)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I always love your take on books Tammie.
I hated Gone Girl. I am the only one I think. I thought it was well written but I really hated the characters and it was becoming so boring to me. I skipped a great amount of the middle and got to the part that began to move along again and wow it sure had a twist but I still didn't like this book.

I may have to try something else of hers.

Tammie said...

daph: im liking joy luck and i didnt expect to.

peggy: you should definitely give gillian flynn another shot. the pace of this book was different and i can definitely see how someone wouldnt like it. check out her other two when you get a chance.

Cyndy Newsome said...

I put a couple of these on my Kindle cloud. Ever since I got the Kindle app on my phone I read like CRAZY. I love it.
I know I've read something by Gillian Flynn but I can't remember what, I have to go look.
Have you read any John Green? I just finished The Fault in our Stars and loved it.

Run Lori Run said...

I really liked Joy Luck Club and David Sedaris is one of my favorites. I just bought Wool (sci-fi) and have high hopes for it.....