Saturday, May 25, 2013

Glasses

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from the Family Liaison at Lucy's school. Lucy's teacher had expressed some concern that she might need glasses. Lucy had been squinting and she had more than once asked the teacher to make things bigger on the overhead projector.

Let me say straight off that not only do I love that Lucy's teacher was so on top of this situation and cared enough to let me know, but I'm also pleased that there even is someone known as a Family Liaison. But when a stranger calls to tell you something about your child that you probably should know but don't, you get a sinking feeling. Oh. My child is slowly going blind? I had no idea. At that point you know not to check the mail for your Mother of the Year award because it won't be coming anytime soon.

The fact that this phone call coincided with the start of  my new job, a job with different, at times, longer hours, made me feel even worse. Then I started to mentally play the 'Let's List All The Ways I'm A Failure as A Mother' game. A game where there are never any winners. Does the second guessing of every parenting decision ever stop?

Anyway, an appointment was made with the eye doctor and frames were picked out. Lucy was a little upset that they didn't have any with flames on the sides, but she's still pleased with her choice.

In the car on the way home, Lucy kept talking about how clear and crisp everything was and at one point she exclaimed, "The trees look so much more beautiful now!"

I'm an incredibly imperfect parent, but if I can occasionally help to make the world more beautiful for my child, then I guess I'm doing an okay job.


9 comments:

Daphne said...

It's okay -- my mom, who was Super Mom with stuff like this, didn't know I needed glasses until the middle of fifth grade, and by then I REALLY needed them. I very clearly remember the feeling of seeing individual leaves on the trees....

And Lucy's glasses are so cute on her!! Too bad about the flames...

Cyndy Newsome said...

The thought of flames on the side made me giggle.
I'm sure a crafty person could paint some on (I accidentally typed CRAZY instead of crafty...coincidence??).
Its not like she was bumping into walls and telling you she couldn't see and you were just smoking crack and ignoring her.
Perspective!
She's looking so grown up and like her Mama!

Maria Rose said...

You did everything just right! She totally didn't go blind so mission accomplished. ___She does look awesome in her new glasses!

Run Lori Run said...

She looks so cute in those glasses!! Oh we find many reasons to beat ourselves up as mothers, don't we?! She has them now which is what matters.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie, do you realize a bad mom wouldn't even feel guilty?
don't be so hard on yourself...i get it though.

She's looks great and I so would have loved to see her rockin' those frames with flames!!

Tammie said...

peggy you always tell me that an i always try to keep it in mind. i think about it often. (as discussed on your blog, you are very wise.) :)

Liesl said...

Don't worry. I was twelve when I finally got glasses. I must have needed them for a while because I hadn't realized the trees were supposed to be so clear either. (Literally, I said the same thing.)

Visty said...

I'm sure it's not anything you overlooked, but more of a side effect of some single blow to the head or something. Maybe that time I opened the door and you pushed her down on her face into my foyer?

Michelle said...

Those glasses look sharp on her! I remember saying the same thing the first time I got glasses as an adult. I thought, OMG, THOSE ARE LEAVES! Cuz i could finally see the trees clearly. Isn't it funny how or go-to is to criticize ourselves for not knowing everything about our kids and their needs? I hear myself thinking that way sometimes, too, and then quickly let it go. i hope you let that mess go quickly, too! the recording in your head should say something like, "grateful that it was brought to my attention. now i can help, because i'm a mother fucking awesome momma." ;)