Friday, April 26, 2013

Changes

Today was my last day working at the toy store.

I start the new gig this weekend.

I had been searching for a new job for about six months now, although the search got considerably more active within the last two months. There is a lot about my old job that I loved but I could no longer ignore the complete lack of opportunity for upward mobility. When you take ten years off to be a stay at home mom, any career goals you have will take the hit, and I don't have time to waste staying in one place, spinning my wheels. I have places to go people. There are many steps between Toy Store Worker and Secretary of State. Shit, I have a lot of work to do.

There are other reasons too, but really they aren't important. If I had stayed and voiced my feelings and thoughts, it wouldn't have mattered or helped. Jay and I have been discussing this for months and he made a great point when he more or less said, "All of these things you have issues with, there's nothing you can do about them. They aren't going to stop and people aren't going to change, so at this point, it's a YOU problem and the best thing to do is to just remove YOURSELF from the equation."

Which is what I'm doing.

I'm really, really excited about the new job. I had interviews with four different people before being hired so just the fact that I got the job at all makes me feel pretty great about myself. I would have thought that somewhere between interviews one and four I'd have said or done something to take myself out of contention, but I didn't! I managed to not fuck up four times in a row! The company offers a lot of room for professional growth plus I think that it's just a good fit for me. I'm at the point in my life where I want a career, not just a job.

Onward and Upward!

9 comments:

Cyndy Newsome said...

Are you going to tell us what exactly this new job is???
Congrats!! And I wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tammie! I know you can do anything you put your mind to!

Anonymous said...

Im so proud of you. You and Jay made sacrifices so.you could be a stay at home mom. You have great kids, you're where you want to be. Now its time for you to shine. I miss you very much, I miss the fun times.

Carla E said...

Yay! I'm excited for you Tammie. I can relate to the "stuck" feeling. I recently was given more responsibilities with my job and its amazing how much more enjoyable going to work is. All the best!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You're undercover huh?
Under cover detective?
CIA?
FBI?
Secret Service?
Is it legal?
Or will you have to kill me once I know this new job?

hester said...

Congratulations, Tammie. You're a braver woman than me. I like to stay in my comfort zone so admire your get up and go. Looking forward to hearing more about your job. How do you top working in a good toy shop?

PS It made my day to see that little bird in your last post. He looks so at home on Lucy's bird house.

Visty said...

So exciting! I am sure the people interviewed you four times because they couldn't believe they were so lucky and getting such an awesome person...they had to keep checking.

Run Lori Run said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on making a big life change, how many people do we all know who stayed miserable in dead end jobs for whatever reason and regretted it. Change is good.

Now go to Hood River and my brother's BBQ joint and celebrate! :)

Run Lori Run said...

By the way, I hate Facebook 99.9% of the time but your posts make me laugh my ass off.