Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sutro Sam

When I was in California, one of the places Daphne took me to was the Sutro Baths. The baths were a privately owned swimming pool complex that burned down in the sixties.
The remains are rocky, uneven, and somewhat scary. But so, so pretty.



As we were climbing over the remains, we saw the cutest little otter:

We watched him swim back and forth through the wreckage of the various baths. He would grab some grass in his mouth and swim beneath the remains, obviously building some type of sweet otter home.

Daphne and I must have watched him for at least 15 minutes. As we were walking away, he swam to the edge and popped his head up as if to say, "Hey, where ya going? Come back and watch me some more." So we did. Daphne and I are both total animal lovers so we aren't above talking to them as if they are people. Clearly, this otter wanted to hang with us some more.

The funny part about this story is that Daphne sent me this article the other day from the San Francisco Chronicle. Apparently our otter (as we call him) is the first otter seen in this area in decades and they've nicknamed him Sutro Sam. On the Sutro Wikipedia page, it reads, "A river otter nicknamed 'Sutro Sam' was spotted at this location in December 2012."

Well, if you want to get picky, Daphne and I FIRST spotted him in early November. He's our otter, after all.


2 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Maybe it's a GIRL otter. And they should call her Tammie.

Daphne said...

Sutro Sam! I love him. I want to go back and see him again before he eats all the fishies and has to find a new abandoned pool...