Wednesday, December 5, 2012

San Francisco: Three-Dead People

Ever since coming back from San Francisco, I don't think a day has gone by where I haven't thought of something about my trip. When I first came home Jay and the kids were immediately all "tell me about your trip"-and I had nothing. But as the days and weeks passed, details and tidbits have emerged. I'll remember the way that certain streets in the city actual smell old and good, like a used bookstore. I'll recall how freaked I was when I saw motorcyclists whizzing between lanes of traffic (totally not illegal in California) or I'll picture the streets of the Castro district where it's not uncommon to see a store that sells only high end, designer dog supplies right next to a sex toy store that has some of the largest dildos  I've ever seen displayed right in the front window. These are all memories that will stick with me forever.

I'm forgetting the order of it all though. In my head it's all filed in one giant messy folder labeled San Francisco. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it and as I look at my pictures I can't remember what happened before or after the image I'm looking at. 

For instance, I don't remember what else we did this particular day. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was awesome, but this is what I took pictures of.

Chapel of the Chimes is a beautiful historic building housing the cremated remains of people. Once you enter, the building appears to go on and on with each room leading into another one with seemingly no end. The remains are in drawers or on shelves in boxes that look like books. At first glance it seems as if you're looking at some rich person's library.



 It's filled with fountains and gardens at every turn and the atmosphere is peaceful and serene.






I could see coming here regularly, just to unwind and be quiet after a busy day.

After seeing the Chapel, we went to Mountain View Cemetery which is a gorgeous, winding cemetery that was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the same guy who designed New York's Central Park.

 It's quiet and gothic.




The best thing about the cemetery though is the view:

There isn't much else to say about these places. This was a calm and low key part of my trip and I love that Daphne thought to share these spots with me.

6 comments:

Daphne said...

Your photos turned out beautifully! These are two of my favorite places in Oakland and I was so glad you loved them too. This was the day we went and had Thai in Berkeley and then got fancy cheese at The Cheese Board and then went home to eat cheese and fruit and watch terrible movies. :)

Tammie said...

THANK YOU! I thought this was the day but couldnt remember. that thai food was so good.

Maria Rose said...

I love visiting cemeteries!!

Anne said...

San Fran is one of my most favorite places in the world! I suppose it doesn't hurt that I grew up around there ;)

red raven said...

SF is on my list of places to visit (I went to Portland this summer during a heat wave- good thing you had mentioned the fountains downtown - they were a life saver!) but now I want to go even more so! Beautiful photos.

hester said...

I love cemeteries. So calm and I think they are full of love. The angel on Frances Schmidt's grave is about the most beautiful I have ever seen.