Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Journal Moment

So.......Karma really fucked up this time.

I'm a good person, right? I'd like to think I am. I donate some of my hard earned, paltry shekels to charity. I hand things out to the homeless. I volunteer at the school. But above all, I try. I try so hard to be good, kind, and honest. I try to be the kind of person, co-worker, employee, spouse, and friend that I would want to be around.  Then why? Why, Karma? Why did you choose to not only incinerate my car but to give my family the puke flu for Christmas? There are rumors among my work circle that you fucked up. Please, right this wrong.

Yeah. We've been sick. Lucy first. It started before Christmas and culminated with her halfheartedly opening her gifts while lying in my lap on Christmas morning. Then me. Missing work and wanting to die. Next came Jay, lying in bed saying, "This is horrible. I think I'm having contractions!"  Everyone but Monty, who is immune to stomach viruses and has thrown up, literally, only once in his life. While we've been retching he's been walking around eating fish stick sandwiches waiting for us to get better.

I've really tried to be cheerful. I've tried to stay upbeat and look on the bright side but honestly, at this point, only a lunatic would be able to find the bright side of six loads of barf laundry and a window view of a burned out Volkswagen. (It will be gone tomorrow. It will be gone tomorrow. It will be gone tomorrow.)

BUT...........I have good friends. Everyone has been super supportive and kind. All of my local people have offered to help. Even people who I didn't think had me on their radar, have been wonderful and surprising. Plus, I have some happy things to look forward to: book club tomorrow and New Year's Eve with the Lindgren's. Plus, the car situation isn't dire. It's not great, but manageable and the future looks bright.

Just get your shit together Karma, because I'm banking on 2013 being the year of Tammie.






9 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I kinda know how you feel.
I really hope 2013 is kinder!
And um, fish stick sandwiches? Never heard of it.

Tammie said...

cyndy: i will message you.

Tami said...

There are so many viruses going around right now. My son and I were both sick on Christmas. And the car? WOW! I hope you and the family are feeling better by now. Have a wonderful Sunday and a better new year!!

Anonymous said...

AWW, I'm so sorry you guys have been ill. Monty is kinda like me, he rarely gets sick but when he does it hits him hard. Remember when he got the flu and nobody else did? The stomach thing rarely lasts more than 24 hrs. So hope you guys are done with it. I've had a miserable illness for 3 wks. now,just can't seem to shake it.

Daphne said...

This is such a sad post. Wah!!! I hope you all feel better soon. I am SO sorry about all this. Bleck.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The header is a hoot - from a bathroom stall I presume?!

Happy New Year Tammie.
2013 has to be better for us all!!!

Liesl said...

After reading your most recent posts I definitely agree that you've got a Year of Tammie owed you!

Hope you're all on the mend. (And keeping everything down!)

hester said...

Oh Tammie...you sound really miserable and I don't blame you one bit. There's nothing like a vomiting bug to ruin life completely for a few days... but at Christmas!! Not nice. Hopefully 2013 will be a great year and I'm sure a lot of good Karma must be heading your way.

red raven said...

"I am having contractions"!! That made me laugh out loud at 3:30 AM when I am suppose to be quiet and serene(?) rocking a baby back to sleep! And the image of your son snarfing back fish stick sandwiches while you all probably are thinking dry toast is out of the question ... Haha I love your family!
Ps it is Wednesday now so I figured it was ok to comment on how funny this post was!