Thursday, November 15, 2012

San Francisco: Two-Alcatraz

The day we went to Alcatraz was warm and bright and as we waited at the dock for our little cruise ship to come take us to prison, I could feel my neck getting warm. But the people watching was fantastic. So many different nationalities, colors, and languages in one spot. While we waited in line to board the ship, we got a chuckle at a little boy behind us who was screaming, "I don't want to go to jail! I'm NOT going to Alcatraz. I hate you. I hate everything! I'm not going!" It made me thankful for my few precious child-free days. 

If you ever get a chance to visit Alcatraz, I highly suggest you take advantage of the audio tour they offer. You pop on a headset, choose your language, and listen as you tour the penitentiary. It's narrated by former guards and inmates and it's incredibly haunting.
Living conditions:



Isolation:
Daphne in "the Hole":
One of the things I remember most about the tour is when a former inmate tells how on certain nights, when the partying in San Francisco was especially loud, like on New Years Eve, the prisoners on the island could hear the revelries, at times even hearing the laughter of women.

The view from the island:

Who wouldn't want to be there?

 I think everyone should have to visit Alcatraz. It will keep you on your best behaviour and make you appreciate the fact that you don't live behind bars.

2 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

fascinating and creepy all at the same time!
That would certainly break my spirit.

Daphne said...

It's such a great tour. I liked the part where we turned left instead of right and got lost...