Monday, October 8, 2012

My Neighborhood


I generally work five days a week but my days off vary from month to month. This month, I'm off every weekend. Sometimes I prefer my days off to be during the week because then it means more time to myself. Time for Jay and I to have a coffee date or just time to be alone and putter around cleaning, crafting, or whatever. But right now I'm enjoying the weekends off. The kids are home more and they're going through a phase where they are mostly pleasant to be around and I'm enjoying being near them.

This past Saturday I walked with the girl to the neighborhood park. As I sat watching her swing, I thought about how much I love my neighborhood.

Neighborhood Randomness:

*It's quiet, safe, and filled with kooky people.

*It's within walking distance of both of the kids' schools, the library, the grocery store, the skate park, the liquor store (just sayin') and the farmers market. I'm also close enough to ride my bike to work. I never have, but I could.

*The park is walled off on one side by wild blackberry bushes.
They're definitely thorny, but that doesn't stop me from taking their delicious fruit. There are actually quite a few spots in my 'burb where wild berries grow and people routinely pick them. At first this was a weird sight for me to see because in Florida there really is no such thing as fruit that grows wildly for public consumption. If you happen upon a fruit tree, it most likely belongs to someone and they don't want you picking from it. I'm used to it now though, and have nothing against public picking. I've done it before and will most likely do it again.

*There's a man in my neighborhood who rides a unicycle to work. He walks his daughter half-way to school, kisses her at the corner, then hops on his unicycle and goes on his way. The first time I saw this I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. I had to see it one more time for it to register in my brain that the man was indeed on a unicycle. (Unrelated: We also used to have a neighbor who rode a Segway to work but I think he moved.)

Jay and I had never planned to stay in this apartment as long as we have. It was meant to be a stop gap measure while we settled into life in Oregon. But, three years later, here we still are. We've talked about moving many times (the major downside to where we live is that the apartment is small) but the list of Pros in favor of staying far outweighs the Cons, so for now anyway, we remain.

7 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Glad you have found a place where you feel at home.

Tammie said...

and thats really what it boils down too maria rose. the kids feel at home here, so in turn we all kind of do.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nothing better than this feeling!

I'm glad you have it.:-)

Daphne said...

Home is good, no matter what it is; as long as it works for you, it's working. I love your neighborhood too. And mmm... blackberries! I could never pick enough for a pie (too impatient and lazy) but omg blackberry pie is the best...

Anonymous said...

Maybe a three bdrm will open up in your complex. Sounds like too good of a place to move from. Your surroundings are beautiful. I'm surrounded by pastures, cows and smelly cow dung. Plus it's very hot here still and on a hot windy day the smell hits me the minute I pull into the driveway. Would definitely trade it for a neighborhood that is as nice as yours.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

One of the places I lived recently had blackberries growing wild in the yard....I made a lot of cobblers!
Sounds you found the perfect place for your family for now, and for however long you need it.

Carla E said...

After spending the entire long weekend doing stuff in my house I can definitely see the advantages to living in a smaller apartment.