Sunday, October 14, 2012

Book Review: Zombie Spaceship Wasteland

Have I ever mentioned to you my long standing love for comedians? I remember coming home from high school in the early nineties, making a fresh pot of coffee, and turning on Comedy Central. Back then CC didn't have a lot of its own shows yet so the channel was basically a forum for Stand Up. I'd sit there watching the likes of (among others)  Janeane Garofalo, Marc Maron, and Patton Oswalt until my dad came home and told me to "turn off that crap." At that point I'd go to my room and hide out for the next 12 hours only to start the whole process over again the following day.

At this time, comedians really weren't thought of as celebrities. (Jerry Seinfeld had had his own show for a few years, but he was the exception not the rule.) So they seemed like real, normal people-only more observant and so much funnier. They appeared to be totally accessible and were this bright spot in my otherwise boring and sad, if not somewhat lonely, day.

Unfortunately, Comedy Central is not what it used to be and neither are comedians. They're all attractive and smug and want to be on The Daily Show or better yet, have their own show. So when I need my laugh I have to hunt down my favorites and get it in the form of podcasts, blogs, or a book. Which brings me to Zombie Spaceship Wasteland:
This is a difficult book to review because humor is so subjective. I thought it was funny and loved it. You might hate it.

I will say that the chapters where Oswalt is brave enough to write about real events from his life are the best. Whether it be working in a movie theatre, playing Dungeons and Dragons, or remembering his visits to an odd uncle, he writes about it in a way that is both poignant and funny.

The other chapters are the ones that might not appeal to everyone. I mean, while I thought the story of two vampires fighting over the same street corner in New Orleans was hilarious, you might not. If your idea of humor is a little dark and a little dry, then this is for you.

The bottom line: Would I recommend this book? Yes. Does that mean you'll like it? Not necessarily.

4 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Cool. I want to read it!

Tammie said...

i definitely think youd like this. your hubs probably would too....

Anonymous said...

I didnt realize that your life was"sad and lonely". I remember fun stuff like playing scrabble and spending Saturdays at the mall shopping and having lunch. Your father thought it was crap because he didn't understand their humor and that was his jerkish way of covering up his ignorance.

Tammie said...

its funny you mentioned that because i bring up that exact same thing (us playing Scrabble) in a post for tomorrow. you'll see. :)