Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Journal Moment: Saturday October 13


Jay and I had some time to kill last night after we dropped the boy and his friend off to do the Friday-night-teenager-at-the-mall thing. Right now that is my least favorite thing about being the parent of a teenager-the dropping off, picking up, and the waiting that goes in between. I never know what to do with myself. Do I go home and come back? Do I hover within a few miles of where they are? If so, doing what? Most of the time I'd really rather just be home in my jammies.

We first went to Goodwill. The girl was excited because in her opinion, "Goodwill has the best toys." I find this hilarious since I work at a toy store and haul home some pretty awesome stuff on an almost weekly basis. But nope, Goodwill is where it's at. I think she's like her parents and enjoys the hunt. Those toys I bring home are too easy, there's no thrill. It's much more exciting to dig through six shelves of creepy dolls and half broken Fisher Price toys in the hopes of unearthing some treasure. Last night, the treasure was a brand new Webkinz dog with the super secret web code still attached. She was thrilled.

Afterwards we went to Powell's which has some great puzzles right now. A pretty sweet selection of Charley Harper and Edward Gorey. It was hard choosing just one. I may find myself headed back there sooner than I planned. Maybe someone will need to be dropped off at the mall.

4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hey we just started a puzzle last night....only GOT the border done just like your photo. May have been due to the wine.
Something about winter and puzzles. They just go together for me.

Tammie said...

i know, winter is totally puzzle season.

i was drinking wine jay was drinking whiskey and yep we kept saying, "we have to at least get the border done."

:)

M.J. Fifield said...

I think my niece loves the hunt too. Although she's perfectly happy with the easy stuff too.

hester said...

Hey....we were hanging with some friends at their house yesterday afternoon and they had just started a circa 1960s jigsaw of Hyde Park Corner in London. We got the border finished before the pavlova. We were drinking tea though (with red soft drink chasers!) We spent a happy two hours doing the puzzle while the four children disappeared downstairs to prepare a fashion show with thrift shop purchases. Life was good.