Monday, August 27, 2012

Enchanted Forest

Sunday we took the girl to Enchanted Forest.


We tried to get the boy to join us but we knew deep down that, having been raised on flashy Florida theme parks, he wouldn't be impressed with this low tech, subtle park that includes a storybook village.




The crooked man's house totally threw off my equilibrium:
Dwarves working hard in the mines:

Goldilocks resting:
A somewhat rickety ride:
I've spoken to a lot of long time Oregonians about Enchanted Forest and everyone has nothing but positive things to say about the place. Which is strange because at first glance this doesn't look like a place that would be popular. It hasn't been updated in, well, ever. The food court isn't impressive, and the gift shop is dusty and not very well stocked, but we had a blast nonetheless.

I guess glitz isn't everything.

8 comments:

just me said...

I remember going there many times when visiting my uncles in Portland! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Liesl said...

Sounds like fun. Sometimes the best fun is in simple packages.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG would I have loved this as a kid. Who the hell am I kidding I would have been thrilled to go there with Lucy at this age too. I swear I need to adopt grandchildren.
If I was a big sister in big brothers/big sisters, why not a need for old granmothers/old grandfathers too? Hmmm....I may be on to somethin' Tammie.

Daphne said...

It's so rickety and charming -- and almost everything is hand-made! Which I think is just so amazing. Most people bring picnics. I had no idea it even had a gift shop! But I *adore* the dark tunnels, the creepy animatronic characters, the forest canopy and the sheer kookiness of it. Love, love love. So glad you went. There's something related to this in Oakland called Fairyland -- very similar, although missing the fabulous trees. Oaklanders love it as much as Oregonians love the Enchanted Forest. There's just something about "one man's dream" and everything being made with human hands and love.

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

Oh man! My girls would be in heaven!!!! Where is this exactly???

Dawn said...

Love this!

Run Lori Run said...

I've gone a few times over the years and it has a certain charm I guess, in a creepy kind of way.... :)

Visty said...

We thought it was pretty fun. Definitely a lot of creepy freak factor which made for a good time. I didn't like how they charged according to height, which made our very, very tall 3 year old have to pay like someone who would be riding all the rides, which she wasn't.