Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Book Related Random Thoughts

*Fifty Shades of Grey. So, despite hearing a lot of negative reviews about this book, I've decided to read it. I've requested it from the library but it might be a while since I'm number 686 of 706. Have any of you read this book?  Is it worth buying or would it just be a waste of money?

*The Hunger Games Trilogy. I read all three and liked them all well enough. The third one was probably my favorite. It felt like more of an adult read than the first two. I'm not going to review them here because everyone on the planet probably already knows about them and has formed their own opinions. (As a side note: At work we sell a fake bow and arrow that's just flying off the shelves lately. I was discussing this with a customer who informed me that toy bows and arrows are 'the thing' right now because all the kids are playing Hunger Games. I'm really not sure how I feel about that.)

*The Girl Who Fell from the Sky. This was our most recent book club selection and we'll be discussing it at our meeting this Sunday. (A meeting that I hope does not go into overtime because the new season of True Blood begins Sunday. Woot! Woot!) I enjoyed this book and hope to review it here soon, but I'm still processing it all. The reviews for the books that I love are always the hardest ones to write.

*The Abstinence Teacher.  I just started reading this book about a sex-ed teacher who, due to pressure from the evangelicals in her town, is now forced to revamp her lesson plans to be more abstinence driven. I've read a lot of Tom Perrotta's books and he has never disappointed.

*I found this summer reading list (via Lecia) and I immediately went to the library's website to begin making requests. Do check the list out, there are some fantastic authors on it.

*I've already read twenty three books this year. If I keep going at this pace, I'll definitely surpass last years paltry 28 books. Also, Jay read more books than I did last year and I cannot let that happen two years in a row!


7 comments:

Daphne said...

I have only recently, like, in the last two weeks, heard anything about these Fifty Shades of Grey books. They sound like addictive trash, yes? Nothing wrong with that, in my book... I may have to see if I can find a copy. Ooh, at my library I would only be #73!

Tammie said...

daphne: apparently there are many more horny housewives in my town than yours....

Run Lori Run said...

I want to see your review of the Abstinence Teacher, that sounds really interesting.

Everyone I know has read 50 Shades and I really hadn't wanted to jump on the bandwagon but I hear it is very entertaining.

I heard so many negative reviews about the last Hunger Games book that I almost didn't want to read it but I finally did. I have NO IDEA what they were talking about. I agree that it was the best of the three. I missed the fast pace but I thought the ending was fitting and satisfying.

Great reviews!!

Kashoan said...

Kiley downloaded 50 shades for me on the kindle. That is on my "to read" list. I am in the middle of book 2 of the hunger games. Its good, just so predictable. I have been picking up books lately at goodwill. I have a stack of them to read. :)

Tammie said...

lori: i was off of work yesterday and read 150 pages of the abstinence teacher. it's very engrossing.
and my thoughts exactly on the third hunger games. it wasn't a happy book by any means, but it couldn't have ended any other way.

Tammie said...

kashoan: ooh read fifty shades! i want details!!!

Liesl said...

My To-Read list is getting a little out of control. This (and the link you mentioned) aren't helping.

And 23 books already!? I'm think I'm at like 10. I aimed unrealistically high when I set my goal for this year. I've been dropping it to a more manageable and attainable number. Good luck beating your fella this year!