Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Re-Fashioned Shirt

In my dresser drawer, I have this sweater:


Jay found it on the clearance rack last year at the J. Crew Outlet. (A side note about the J. Crew Outlet: The quality is not as good as regular J. Crew but yet the prices are just as exorbitant. Why is this?)

It's a great sweater that goes with a lot of my clothes and it adds some polish to a few of my more casual outfits. Plus, it's really lightweight, almost like a long sleeve tee shirt, so I can pretty much wear it year round.

Also in my dresser drawer are at least half a dozen tee shirts that all have something slightly weird about them. Nothing so weird as to make me get rid of them, but weird enough to keep me from wearing them on a regular basis. Today I took one such shirt, a long sleeve Gap tee, and refashioned it into a lovely sweater tee, much like my J. Crew one.
It was easy enough to do. I just sliced the shirt down the middle of the front, sewed some lace all the way around, and then finished it off with some black cotton fabric (which came from another tee shirt I took my scissors to.)
I completed the whole project in just one morning, and most of that time was spent rummaging around looking for the supplies I needed. (I had lace? Who knew?)

Now I'm wondering what other things I can do with little-worn tee shirts.





13 comments:

Visty said...

DAYUM! You really pulled a Soulemama! A good one, too. I love it!

Violet Marbles said...

Love it! I would totally wear both of those... I actually kind of like your remake better. The black is a nice touch

Tammie said...

visty: ha! i was able to do it because i was ignoring my two (two!) children.

theresa: thank you so much!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I like your creation better!

kraftykash said...

You are good. I love it!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

My god you are awesome!

I can't sew for shit.
I have a Janome that a woman was selling and I only paid $50.00.
I set it up this past weekend and attempted to take in some clothing. I struggle like you wouldn't believe.

I am shaped so weird. I need a shirt to fit the boobs and the rest is too big. So there I sit trying to take in the sides of a t-shirt so it doesn't look like it's 4 sizes too big. I don't want it to fit my body then the boob area is so tight and I'm so not into that pamela anderson look. Wish you lived nearby and you could give me a lesson. Hell, I'm hopeless with this shit who am I kidding?

Anonymous said...

Hey kudos to you-super creative!

Maria Rose said...

Excellent re-do!

Daphne said...

Love love love! I have got to remember this -- I have a bunch of long-sleeve t's about ready for a re-do...

Aleta said...

I love it! How creative!

I and J Mommy said...

Ok, I want one too! Let's go through my dresser next!!

Tammie said...

kim: you know i will!

Liesl said...

You did an awesome job!

I've always want to try making underwear out of t-shirts I have.