Friday, May 25, 2012

Book Review: The Full Moon Bride


Thirty year old Soorya Giri seems to have everything: good friends, money, a family that loves her, and a successful career as a lawyer in New York. The one thing she doesn't have (of course) is true love. She hasn't had any luck finding a man on her own so she enlists her parents to arrange to find her a mate. But even after dozens of bridal viewings, Soorya is still alone, having been rejected because she's so fat and plain. (Her words, not mine.)

But then she meets Rajesh and even though he admits that he's looking for a rich wife to help fund his dreams of being the next M. Night Shyamalan (His words, not mine.) she is instantly attracted to his sexy bedroom eyes. (Yet again, her words, not mine.) They spend some time together and Soorya finds herself liking Rajesh, even though he's such a "bad boy."

It's around this time that Lou Draper is introduced. Soorya meets Lou through a client at work and they hit it off. But Lou is not someone her parents would approve of. He's older and a widower. Plus, he's African-American! (Seriously, on the page in the book where Lou first meets Soorya at her office it actually reads, "My first surprise came when Draper was ushered in by Sandy. He was African-American!")

What ever will Soorya do? Will she be with Raj or will she break tradition and be with Lou? And does anyone care?

Oh lordy. This was our book club pick last month and we all agreed it was a huge disappointment. Everyone had hoped for much more sophisticated insight into Indian culture and arranged marriages. But instead we got an unfulfilling romance novel that read almost like teen fiction.

That being said, here are a few random thoughts:

*Soorya is a fat girl. And we never, ever forget this because she mentions it all.the.time. If she's not talking about her chub rolls then she's talking about whatever diet she's on at the time. The one she's on through most of the book allows her to eat only foods that are red, green, or white. Her diet finds its way into almost every conversation and when people offer her foods that aren't red, green, or white, she actually tells them she can't eat it because of her diet. It's incredibly boring. But what I find so odd is that the author never fixes what I see as a serious flaw in Soorya's personality-her obsession with food and weight. Even when things end happily, Soorya is pleased because her diet is working and she knows she's "looking good."

*At thirty, Soorya in very naive and immature, and it's not just because she's a virgin and still living at home with her parents. I, of all people, know how a deeply ingrained belief system can effect your life and stunt your personal growth, but I find it hard to believe that a lawyer working in Manhattan has never even been kissed.

*Soorya is emotionally immature as well. When she's seen walking down the street with Raj, she's very worried about what the neighbors will think and what kind of gossip will be spread. I would think that a supposedly sophisticated adult woman would have long ago stopped caring about such things.

*The writing in this book is very flat and uninspired. It includes dialogue such as, "Sarcasm is your middle name" and cliches like he was growing on me like a fungus.  Really?

I wanted to find something to like about this book. But the main character was horrible, the writing was bad, and the story was juvenile and silly.  In the end, the only thing good about this book is that it's completely forgettable.

6 comments:

Daphne said...

Oh, you know how much I love trash-talking about bad books! This sounds pretty bad.

Violet Marbles said...

"What ever will Soorya do? Will she be with Raj or will she break tradition and be with Lou? And does anyone care?" I laughed so hard when I got to that part because I was about to give up on the review thinking I would never read this book. I had to finish it after that though since I knew the good trash talk was getting ready to start. LOL! Too funny, but a great review!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

When I began reading this I was thinking, "Boy this doesn't sound like something Tammie would read"
So I was happy to see further down when you were sarcastic that you didn't like it. Whew!
It's not my thing so thank you for keeping me away from this book.

Visty said...

I selfishly want you to read a hundred really bad books, just so I can read your reviews.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie, have you read Dave Hill's book Tastful Nudes yet?

I heard from a couple of my friends in Seattle that since I love David Sedaris I will love this book. Not at the library yet since it just came out. Too broke to buy it right now. Wondered if you had any thoughts my dear book reviewer friend.

I may have to break down and buy it or possibly steal it and leave a kind note behind.:-)

Tammie said...

peg; i haven't read this book but the title piques my interest for sure. i must look it up!