Saturday, April 14, 2012

Random Thoughts

* I've already read 13 books this year. Of course, six of those were graphic novels about zombies. That still counts, right? Actually, I think I'm going to take a break from the post apocalyptic/dystopian/zombie genre for a while. It's starting to bum me out and I think I need something a little lighter. Our next book club book is Full Moon Bride (anyone read it?). While it doesn't look like a light read, at least no ones guts are going to get eaten out. Hopefully.

*One aspect of my job is to, twice a month, write the e-newsletters that go out to all the customers on our mailing list. It's a lot of fun and I love doing it because, hey, I get to write and people read what I write. But it's also the most stressful part of my job because it's just me. After the owner tells me what the subject is to be, it's all on me. I agonize over every word and sentence because, unlike what I do here, these aren't just blog stats. They're actual customers who we want to not only keep reading the newsletter, but then come in the store and spend money so I can keep my job. Anyway, I have a newsletter due on Monday and it just isn't coming together the way I want and I'm finding myself avoiding it. I need to just sit down and finish it so that it's not hanging over my head all weekend.

*Tomorrow Jay and I go see Rachel Maddow! I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to finish her book before the event. Jay's only a few pages away from being done with it and he keeps joking that everything Rachel says will be over my head since I didn't read the book. I may stab him in the face.

7 comments:

just me said...

did you ever find the book Alice in Zombieland?? I got it free for my kindle couple months back, though they aren't called zombies so you can still read it! lol

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

What is your topic in this months newsletter?

What does Rachel do exactly? Field questions?
I like her. She is crazy smart. I'm sure there would be things over my head even if I read the book.

I just started the book of your last review. I just stopped to watch the Yankee game. Yes I hear you moaning from here. :-)

Tammie said...

just me: no, but i have to go to the book store in a couple of days and i plan to hunt it down then.


peggy: i don't know if rachel is just going to read excerpts from her book, take questions, etc....i'll find out tomorrow i guess.

this newsletter is mainly going to be about Screen Free Week, which is at the end of the month and its when kids are encouraged to turn off all screened media (TV, computers, iPhones, etc..) and spend time with family. I'm having trouble making it sound interesting.

Maria Rose said...

Yeah I got pulled down the post-apocalyptic tunnel for a bit---then I read the whole Game of Thrones series and now I feel as though a bit of zombie lit might be cleansing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - my friend did that last year (screen out) and they went together as a family and bought games. the kids went begrudgeonly no less but they got to pick games as well as the parents. Then every evening after dinner they got to choose which game they were going to start and they all played a game. They played one of the games for pennies and it has now become a tradition which I think is pretty cool. I guess it gets pretty rowdy and her son told her it was a fun week.

If I shut off everything including my book reading I would just want to sleep - but would have guilt because I could be doing chores. Yuk.

kraftykash said...

Be yourself when you write. That is what I love about your blog. Who is Rachel Maddow? We started watching The Walking Dead last night, I am totally hooked.

Visty said...

I'm going to sign up for that just so I can read you! Though, I thought I was signed up and I've never gotten one...