Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursday

I'm in the process of making a blanket for our bed. I honestly don't know how I would unwind before learning crochet. The process is just so relaxing and mind clearing. Blankets are quickly becoming my favorite thing to crochet. I like the thought of my hands creating something that keeps someone warm. It makes me feel like a god. Plus, it's something I can do while watching movies.

Jay and I have been watching so many good movies lately: Catfish, Never Let Me Go, and It's Kind of a Funny Story. Never Let Me Go was perfect and almost exactly like the book. Up next is Everything Must Go, a Will Ferrell drama, which could either be great or awful, we'll see. Then I have The King's Speech, which has been recommended to me by numerous people, one of whom was Lucy's speech teacher.

The meeting at Lucy's school went really well. I'm still so amazed at how supportive and helpful everyone is. I wonder how things would be different if we were still living in Florida. At the meeting I expressed my frustration over not being able to find any good books about stuttering. The speech teacher agreed with me and said that stuttering is the oldest known speech disorder but also the least documented. I would love to read a book written by the parent of a stutterer, someone who dealt with the same issues and feelings that I'm dealing with. I may have to write my own damn book.

9 comments:

kraftykash said...

I love those colors! I am jealous that you know how to crochet. I have never learned. I am a simple knitter, simple in that I hate taking on big or complex knitting projects.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Your blanket is so pretty.
It even Looks warm Tammie.

I went to speech class for 7 years for stuttering and my R's. I understand! My mom, like you wanted more information than she could get. It was hard for her not to finish what I was trying to say. I remember crying and saying I.want. to.say.it!
I am always amazed that kids didn't make fun of me more. But for some reason they just didn't. And God knows it didn't stop me from talking. :-)

Maria Rose said...

You should definitely write the book!

mandy said...

oh, i'm loving that blanket!

i have 'some day' dreams of making us a quilt for our bed, but...

and the king's speech is a wonderful movie.

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

I am so impressed that you make actual blankets! All of my blankets turn out to be scarfs. I have NEVER finished one. Does Lucy stutter over certain parts of words? Or like entire words- because N. does that a lot. She'll get stuck on a certain word and repeat it over and over and then go back to the start of the sentence to start over. I never really thought of it being a stutter but lately it's costing her marks in reading because she doesn't read "fluently."

Tammie said...

theresa: there are specific sounds that trigger lucys stutter more than others. i dont have the paper right in front of me so i forget what they all are but i think 'b' is one and so is the 'm' sound.

if your babe knows how to read and shes getting marks off because of a stutter issue, than thats unfair. there is a BIG difference between being able to speak fluently and being able to read fluently. this was all explained to me the other day in great detail. you might want to schedule a meeting with the teacher.

good luck!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You have captured the beauty of crocheting in words and with the hook! I feel exactly the same way and I think about all the years I wasted without a hook-in-hand! You're going to love the King's Speech -- if only for Colin Firth. He was amazing!

Anonymous said...

Here are a few books easy for a child to read
http://www.mnsu.edu/comdis/kuster/kids/kidsbooks.html

Dawn said...

I was pleasantly surprised with Everything Must Go. The King's Speech was good too ~

Love your blanket :)