Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday February 23

Yet another blog post with the date as a title. I've really all but given up at this point, haven't I?

Work has been going well. A few weeks back I mentioned that the store was getting a new owner and how I was a bit worried about what that would mean for me. As it turns out, I shouldn't have worried because things have been wonderful. The transition has been going quite smoothly and I genuinely enjoy working for the person who signs my paycheck. My main complaint about my old boss was that she didn't like to delegate. She did everything and we, the sales folks, were just there to sell. That's all well and good but it didn't take long for the challenge to be gone and my personal satisfaction in my work to disappear. But the new owner loves to dole out tasks and has even let some of us have a hand in purchasing merchandise for the store, something that was completely unheard of before. Not only do I love having a say about what comes in the store but just learning some of the behind the scenes stuff makes my job so much more interesting and the work day go by so much quicker.

*************************************************************************
Right now the girl is outside playing in the green space across from my apartment. She's playing with three other little girls from her class and as I look out my window all I can see is pink. They're all wearing pink and dressing dolls and stuffed characters in pink baby clothes. I'm really getting sick of that color but I'm trying to enjoy it while I can because I'm sure that sooner than I would like she'll be wanting to abandon her beloved pink in favor of more mature colors.

*************************************************************************
My son has a lot of female friends. Not girlfriends, but friends who are girls. Apparently these girls are drawn to my son because he's a "good listener." These gals come to the apartment and sit for hours and go on and on with their inane chatter and my son just quietly listens. (Of course when I try to tell him something, it's all I can do to get him to pop his ear buds out of his ears.) Anyway, last week one of these gals had a birthday party---a sleepover birthday party. And my son was invited. Seriously, is this a thing? Because my son tried, unsuccessfully, to tell me that it's quite common now a days for friends of the opposite sex to sleepover at one another's homes. I suppose it might be different if I was actually friends with this gals parents and could be assured that there would be the STRICTEST of supervision, but they work, I work, so I pretty much know nothing about them. So, yeah, there will be no co-ed sleepovers in the near future for the boy.

*************************************************************************
We recently bought a new iMac. Our beloved Old Wheezy just couldn't keep up with the needs of our family anymore. But the Mac, it's amazing. Interesting side note: The Mac costs more than twice the amount of what my car cost.

************************************************************************
I have book club this Sunday, we'll be discussing The Lace Reader. I liked it, didn't love it. Maybe I'll write about it after book club. I have no idea what our next book is but I've taken the advice of everyone on the planet and am reading The Hunger Games. It's intense.

8 comments:

Run Lori Run said...

My daughter is almost 13. Thankfully I haven't heard of any co-ed sleepovers yet. I'm with you: so not happening.

I read the first Hunger Games book and could NOT put it down. I am on to the second one now......

just me said...

Going to reread the Hunger games when it gets close to the movie coming out. I hope you enjoy it, I loved all three.

Maria Rose said...

Co-Ed Sleepovers?! What is wrong with that girl's parents? I am sure your son would behave himself, but when you get a mix like that going....someone always has a creepy idea.

Seriously how can parents expect to hold back the all consuming tsunami of adolescent hormones with that kind of event? Good call on your part.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have heard about these co-ed sleep overs. I don't think I could let my daughter or son do this. And why is it even necessary?

I have heard such complete opposite opinioins about the Lace Reader. i can't wait to hear your take on this book!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I'm really glad work is going well!
I cracked up at the whole part about the Boy. Co-ed sleepovers? Hell to the NO!
Good listener. Snicker. Whatever.

Tammie said...

regarding co ed sleepovers: im so glad we're all in agreement. my son has been doing his best to make me feel like an outdated old fart for not allowing him to go, but i guess thats the plan.

maria rose: creepy idea exactly! my son says he doesn't like the girls that would be there "in that way" but i still feel that probably wouldn't stop them from, ahem, experimenting just for the fun of it.

Violet Marbles said...

We occasionally do the co-ed sleepover BUT- let me explain. My daughter has know this brother/sister duo for their entire baby lives. Her two best friends are brother and sister and only 15 months apart in age, so we're talking one 5 year old and two 6 year olds. We can't do a camp out with just the two girls or poor Will feels all left out. As they get older, I'm sure we'll have to put a stop to it, in that if his sister is coming here for a sleep over, it would be weird to invite him. I'm just saying, our situation is a little different. Also his mom is my best friend...so... yeah. LOL BUT, in this case, with your Boy, I'd have to say I'd totally be in the same boat as you. Further more if N. got invited to a co-ed sleepover that involved more than these two childhood best buddies, I'd say no. With a capital N.

Tammie said...

violet: thats the thing, if i REALLY knew this girl and her parents, i might feel differently. because i know that if my best friend lived close by i wouldn't think twice about a co-ed sleepover for the kids. i just think there is a lot to consider regarding this issue.