Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday

Yesterday I was walking home from the elementary school when I fell in step with another woman also headed in my direction. She's a woman I recognize and have chatted with before but I wouldn't say that we're friends. Just friendly. I don't even know her name.

Anyway, as we're walking along she begins to tell me about her money problems. She mentions job hunting, food stamps, and not being able to pay her bills. Then, clearly embarrassed, she confessed that last week she awoke to the sound of her car being repossessed.

I consider myself a fairly good judge of character and I can usually quickly spot what a persons intentions are. This woman wasn't telling me all this to get sympathy-or anything else-from me. She just needed to talk.

We continued walking and she continued talking, eventually walking passed her own house. We stopped in front of my apartment and I waited as she finished getting it all of her chest. After a while, the conversation reached a natural stopping point, we said our goodbyes, and she headed back home.

I'm not sure why this woman chose me to hear her plight. Maybe, as Peggy said last year when something similar happened to her, it was just easier for this woman to talk to me because I'm not in her usual circle of friends.

Whatever the reason, I was glad I was there to listen.

10 comments:

Maria Rose said...

It was really nice of you to just listen. A good listener is near impossible to find.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hmm....I so get it.
she probably felt a bit unburdened after that ya know? I wish I could do that myself most days.

Have a great weekend.
I'm making peanut butter cake - damn you!

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

What a cool experience. THOSE (among a few others) are what makes life worth it.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You must be a great listener....I would love to vent to you and get your whole perspective on many a topic (and I would do the same for you!). Happy weekend!

mandy said...

do you find this happens to you often Tammie? it happens to both me and my mother alot. my mom says some people are 'receivers' and though my mom is a very religious person and i am not very religious (not in the same way as my mother is, but, that is a WHOLE other conversation...)anyhow, yes, my mother says some people are 'receivers' and as such other people some times seek you out as a safe place to share their story.

It's nice that this woman had a safe place to get something off her chest.

Carla said...

I find that working with the public I often have people tell me things that I'm not sure I'd tell me if I were them! Sometimes people just need to unload and you must have come across approachable and non-threatening and it was good of you to allow her that.

Daphne said...

Way to be a good person! Sometimes it's just nice to feel that someone really hears what you are saying, without trying to fix it.

Run Lori Run said...

Clearly she needed to vent. It is scary because I am hearing more and more similar stories from people close to me. Times are tough out there. I am so grateful I am employed. Have a house. Food.

kraftykash said...

You are an easy person to talk to, just one of the many things I love about you. :)

Michelle said...

That's so hard. I hope life gets better for this woman you were speaking to.