Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday

I love how a lot of my blog people are journaling more lately. Journaling is so low pressure and easy to do. And I don't feel as if I have to write a certain 'way'. I'm just chronicling my days, not writing a novel.

This past Friday we had dinner at Jay's Aunt's house. (We'd been trying to get together since we moved here, but every one's schedules being what they are, it's been tough.) She and her partner have a beautiful condo in N. Portland overlooking the Columbia River. They served us great food, spectacular wine, and put up with our obnoxiously loud daughter. Plus, they play board games. I want to spend more time with these ladies.

This morning the kids slept in until after 10 so Jay and I woke up lazily, turned on the TV and started watching Greenberg. Have any of you seen this movie? It's Ben Stiller as I've never seen him before. Usually, he kind of annoys me but now I'm looking at him a bit differently. It felt very luxurious to lay in bed in the morning watching a movie, getting up only to make myself a bowl of cereal. We need to do this more often. (Speaking of movies: We Need To Talk About Kevin will be coming to theatres in Portland next month. I'm giddy. I really, really, want to see this film.)

Since Jay and I were both off of work today, our initial plan was to go hiking again, but it's been raining so much and all I really felt like doing was staying home and eating bowl after bowl of potato leek soup. Of course, that plan didn't excite the kids as much, especially the girl, who was racing and jumping through the house by mid afternoon. Instead of just yelling at her to settle down, (our usual plan) we took her to PlayDate PDX, which is a giant indoor playground. It may have been the best $10 I ever spent because the girl has been quiet and relatively calm since coming home. The evening, as a whole, has been peaceful.

8 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Yeah for Journaling! I've had many instances where I'd pay $10 for peace and quiet later on. It's money well spent. Potato-leek soup. Yum.

beki said...

It sounds like your weekend was pretty awesome. Having been out of the loop for a while, it's nice to catch up on some of my favorite blogs.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

i saw Greenberg and read the info about it but saw it was Stiller so I moved on. Guess I shouldn't have huh?

I did not read Talk About Kevin but I read your review of the book and I read the review of the movie from another blogger who got to see it at a film festival. She was haunted by it. The thing with the movie is the actress. Tilda Swinson. She is so distracting to me at times in movies. She can look so odd that I can't look away from her and it takes away from the movie. Does that make sense to you? I can't wait to hear what you think of the movie.

Tammie said...

peggy: that's my usual reaction to stiller.

tilda swinton is odd looking but i love her for it.

Pam said...

Thanks for letting us know about Greenberg. I have often picked it up at the video store but because Ben Stiller is in I just couldn't rent it. The roles he usually plays drive me insane. I'll be sure to pick it up soon.

And hooray for low pressure journaling.

Maria Rose said...

Oh, to just watch a movie! I never have time to watch a complete movie anymore...someday.

Run Lori Run said...

I know you recommend that Kevin book but I don't know...I worry that it will be too disturbing. Yet, I keep coming back to it......

As far as movies go I am soooooo out of the loop. I saw the newest Sherlock Holmes movie this last weekend and had forgot what it was like: "they serve ICE CREAM in movie theatres now???" I need to get out more...

Michelle said...

sounds like my kind of weekend... laying around, eating soup, watching movies... can't beat that! yeah, the kids get in the way of my plans to chill, too! :)

i love journal-like blogging, too - both reading it and writing like that.