Saturday, January 14, 2012

Random Thoughts

* I still have Christmas decorations up. The tree is gone but there are still smatterings of the holiday season randomly around my apartment. Today may have to be the day though.

*I've joined a book club. I'm very excited because I've wanted a book club for a while but had a hard time finding one that worked with my schedule. This particular one was started by a couple of gals who I work with though, so scheduling isn't an issue. The first book we're reading is Waterfall by Lisa Bergren, which is quite a popular book right now, but as I'm reading it, it seems kinda Christian-y. So I looked up the publisher, and sure enough, they publish a lot Christian literature and curriculum. I was kinda pissed at first, but it should make for an opinionated me at the book club meeting.

*The other night I took the boy to Hot Topic so that he could spend his Christmas gift card. As he was browsing the skinny jeans and black hooded sweatshirts, the girl and I stood by the counter looking at the wall of Hello Kitty merchandise. Since it's January, the store was slow and the girl who worked there came up and started talking to me. (Side note: I'm always shocked when ultra hip people speak to me, even if it's their job to do so.) Anyway, this gal had about 15 piercings on her face and ears, including a giant one protruding from her cheek. As a general rule, I don't spend each day feeling old. Basically, I feel like a teenager still who somehow stumbled into adulthood and now has to deal with things like bills and kids. But looking at that girl, I felt ancient because it would never occur to me to pierce my cheek.

*The other day I got a weird, spammy looking email from my old real estate agent in Florida. I didn't actually click the link inside, but ever since then it seems as if other weird spammy email is being generated from my account. So if anyone gets an email from me, be careful about looking at it. I'm not one to put "IMPORTANT" in the subject line. Leave it to the RE agent to find one more way to screw me.

10 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

The main piercing guy at Body Tech has his cheek pierced...it's a stud in the area that a dimple would be. He is SO sexy, he makes me want to get pierced in naughty places.
Did I type that out loud?

Tammie said...

you did. and i published it. ;)

daniel j. taylor said...

I wonder what it is about a Christian-y book that pisses you off? Do you feel like your being preached to in some covert way that's unappealing to you, or do you just have a grudge against Christianity, OR is it just some other thing?

(As I'm sure you realize, I don't actually KNOW you so if it's evident to everyone else, it's surely not evident to me haha)
-d

Tammie said...

daniel: i was raise in an extremely conservative background. now im an atheist and hypervigilant about the possibility of being preached to.

Maria Rose said...

Only kind of relevant---I once worked at Hot Topic while simultaneously working at Hallmark. They were in the same mall. I would dress in old lady clothes and work all day at Hallmark. Then go into the bathroom and coat myself in makeup and fishnets. It was a weird time. Oddly the Hallmark job had more problems with shoplifting.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Some days I wake up and can't believe I'm in my 40s and the mother of college-age children. How did this happen. I was 37 when I got my ears pierced. I can't imagine piercing any other body part.

Enjoy that book. I think you share my opinions on religious matters.

lieslmade said...

Our tree is still up... it is mid January, isn't it?

I'm glad you joined a Book Club--hopefully the books get better and you have lots of engaging talks about them. :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I very much look forward to this book review!!

"I don't spend each day feeling old"
Probably because you aren't.

Sadly I am in my 3rd act.
Last week I was made to feel ancient when I was asked if I was going to have my face done or my eyes done or fillers in my parenthesis. No, I'm not this is what it looks like not to live in LA woman.
I go about life and think I am young and just think everything that is in my head and then damn it I see a mirror. F-k mirrors Tammie.

Run Lori Run said...

We just took our Christmas tree down yesterday... Wait, the box is still in the living room...

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

I can so relate to that feeling of still being a teenager who stumbled into adulthood. I rarely sit around feeling old, so when I bump into some kid I used to babysit, whose diapers I changed and they are all grown up and driving and graduating high school, or in one case- HAVING A BABY- It's like getting sucker punched with a "You're OLD" bat.