Sunday, January 1, 2012

Random Thoughts

*I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's Eve. Mine was great because I went to bed at 11:00 and was not awakened by the sound of any fireworks come midnight. It would seem that my neighbors are as unimpressed by fireworks as I am.

*Along those lines, the other morning Jay and I awoke to the sounds of one of our neighbors blaring Peter Murphy. Neither of us has listened to him in a long time but we both agreed it was an oddly peaceful way to wake up.

*My Christmas tree is still up. The girl's birthday is tomorrow and I've arranged all her presents underneath it and declared it The Birthday Tree.Jay jokingly asked if the tree was still going to be up in February for his birthday. Don't tempt me. Seriously though, it's probably time for it to come down. As the branches begin to droop, ornaments fall off and then get thrown back on the tree willy nilly. It just doesn't look as cheery anymore.

*I'm still struggling with the idea of a birthday party for the girl. I've been going back and forth with the idea for the last few weeks, wondering if I should send out invitations, or at this point, just call people and tell them to be at my house at a certain time. Ultimately, I'm leaning towards it just being family again this year. Maybe it's selfish of me, because I know that the girl would love a party where she can be the center of attention, but those moments when it's just the four of us are so special to me. With Jay and I both working and the kids having their own schedules, those moments are rare anymore.

*A few weeks back, Daphne sent me this link about how to make a candle from a clementine peel. Since I'm still having my love affair with clementines, I make these almost daily.
I wish all of you a Happy New Year and a wonderful 2012!

8 comments:

Daphne said...

Love peter murphy! Did you try putting the star-lid on the candles? When I made them, it got a little brown around the edges but so pretty. They are awesome.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Happy New Year! And happy birthday to the girl....If it were up to me, I'd do a family-only thing. There's something to be said for holding on to just you guys. There will be plenty of time for big bashes later on.

Tammie said...

daphne: i didnt do the lid, because by the time i get everything all lit, im so excited by my skillz that i have to sit down. in other words, i just dont bother.

jody: thank you. i feel like everyone thinks im an old fart for not doing a party. can we be old farts together? :)

Maria Rose said...

We just took down all of the holiday stuff and it feels so good. Although I kind of like the birthday tree idea.

Jessie at LunaPacifica said...

Happy New Year!

I've already told my girls that we will be having small birthday parties like we did last year. They get to pick dinner, dessert, and music. We still decorate like we would for a big party. They seem to enjoy it as do my nerves and pocket book.

Here's to a thrifty and well read year!

Yolanda said...

I am glad to have found your blog. I am a bit irregular too.

Visty said...

We don't do friend parties every year, like we talked about the other day, but when we do, we usually hold them after the actual birthday. I do this because I want our own family celebration to be ON the child's birthday and to be small and special. Then, a week or so later, a friend party. I've made the mistake in the past of having the party first, and it did take away from the real day a bit. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

lieslmade said...

Oh, I bet it smells heavenly.