Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cooper Mountain Nature Park

I suppose this could also be entitled, "The One In Which I Post Too Many Pictures of Snowy Nature."

I've missed our family nature outings. Up until this weekend it seems as if it's been months since we'd been out together, in the woods, near the water, or in the mountains.This past Sunday the weather was perfect. Cold, a little bit snowy, and with the sky such a beautiful shade of silvery grey.There was just enough snow on the ground to make the walk interesting, not enough to make it dangerous or more difficult for hiking.
The first part of our walk was all downhill and we were wondering why it seemed so easy. But then we got to the bottom, turned the corner, and saw this:Two days later, I'm still feeling the effects of the steep trail.

I feel like these moments we spend together outside are especially important for my thirteen year old son. When it's just our family, outside at some semi-secluded place, he can be himself. He doesn't have to try to be anything else, the way that he does so often with his peers. If he wants to do something so dorky as getting into a snowball fight with his dad and little sister, he doesn't feel the need to first stop and consider whether or not it would look 'cool' to do so.
(For me, one of the most frustrating aspects of being the parent of a teenager is trying to convince that teenager that he's totally fine just the way he is. That everything about him is the way it should be and that eventually he'll be mad at himself for attempting to change to impress people he doesn't really care about anyway. That life is far too short to spend it trying to get people whom you don't like, to like you. My best friend and I were just discussing this topic today and we both agreed that we wished we could get certain years of our lives back, years spent devoting too much time to what others think.)

After our hike was over and we got back to the car, it began to snow again.
We don't really get much snow here, so of course we had to hang out and soak it all in just a little bit longer. Come summertime, I'll need these memories to get me through the heat and the long, oppressively bright sunny days.

7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love how you love gray days and long for no sun in summer!! It is one of my favorite things about you Tammie.

jessie at luna pacifica said...

I love the pictures!

I wish I had some advice to give your for your teen. I guess we all just have to get through that stage and rely on the people who tell us we are "good enough" even if we don't believe it at the time.
Much love, J

Daphne said...

Isn't that silvery sky just the most beautiful? It's my absolute favorite and one of the things I miss most about Oregon. Glad you guys had a fun day out. You're a good mom to keep convincing your children to remain themselves. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. In PA, we haven't gotten much snow yet. It's all supposed to change by Sat.YEAH!
I used to think that I'm the only person who gets down when there is too much sun. I could never live in Florida for that reason.
Micki

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

First, I love that first picture you took. Second, we've all been in that place your son is in right now. It takes a while, but they realize on their own, that is really is okay to be themselves. I've watched my two oldest really grow into their skin (so to speak).

daniel j. taylor said...

Can you ever have TOO MANY snowy pictures? I'd reckon not.

This fall I was on a roadtrip with my girlfriend and best friend. We stopped at lots of national parks and took lots of pictures. This link is to the 11/25/2011 page of my blog with our (favorite) pictures of Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado!

As an aside,
If you keep telling your son to be himself and that you love that version of him, it'll show up more than you see. Guys do feel like we need to act cool, but the real us sneaks out too. It's good that he knows it's ok.

daniel j. taylor said...

oh...PS

http://littlebrainbighead.tumblr.com/day/2011/11/25/