Thursday, January 26, 2012

Car Update

It's occurred to me that I haven't posted about all the work Jay's been doing to my 'vintage' Cabriolet. (Doesn't vintage sound so much better than old?) He's replaced the broken window, installed the stereo, had the car detailed, and replaced the ugly fuel tank cap with the original, (very German) one that requires the owner to not only use a key, but then to rotate the cap much like you would if you were opening a safe. Needless to say, I've not yet mastered the complexities of the cap and neither has anyone who works at the gas station, so poor Jay still has to go get gas for me. (You long time readers might remember that I hate pumping gas and have only done it once in my life. Not a problem here in Oregon where it's illegal to pump your own gas and there are attendants to do it for you. Unless you have a gas tank that the attendant can't open. Maybe one day the gas station nearest my house will hire an old German fellow and Jay won't have to do this chore anymore.)

My favorite car improvement though is the stereo:

Does it look odd to you? That's because it has a tape deck. (Definition of such an archaic device can be found here.) And that white thing sticking out is called a cassette tape. I've clearly labeled it in the picture below:That particular cassette tape is Erasure's Wonderland. I've mentioned before how much I love Erasure and this album is especially......um....flaming. So much so that when I get out of my car, I'm shocked to see that it isn't actually 1986 and the people around me aren't wearing popped collars and talking into giant cell phones. I would like to expand my cassette collection, but for some reason, nobody sells cassettes anymore. Peculiar.

Interesting little tidbit about me and my car: I work with a gal who shares my name and also drives a vintage white Cabriolet, although mine is just a wee bit more vintage than hers. When anyone new comes to work with us, it takes them a while to realize which Tammie they're gonna get. It's been a fun and unexpected way to fuck with people.

8 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

HA HA HA - A TAPE DECK!
I have one below my CD player in my highlander. I still use it. There are just some tapes I have that are so fun for a road trip to the lake etc. Sadly mine are before the age of any type of cell phone.
At least it's not an 8 track. :-)

Carla said...

I love it! I want your car. I think I might still have a box of cassette tapes somewhere!

Daphne said...

It's a vintage cab! (you could name her Merlot or maybe Chardonnay or something, to be cheeky).

I learned to drive on a car that had an 8-track player. It was *very* old then...but 8 tracks were fun. I bet you could find some great cassettes at the thrifts, or at garage sales. Love it!

One of my cars had a push-button starter. The starter went out, and my dad installed a push-button starter. It was kind of quirky and fun. Confused the hell out of people.

Tammie said...

peggy: you're always one to look on the bright side. actually though i was at Goodwill the other day and came across a giant box of 8 tracks. nothing i would want to listen to though.....

carla: you know, i carried around a box of cassettes for years but then trashed them thinking id never use them again. poo!

daphne: its funny because when jay was buying the stereo he was like "are you sure you dont want the one with the cd player? what if you want to listen to newer music?" but yeah, i like the tape deck. it's different.

Run Lori Run said...

Ah, I like that you say "gal" like I do.

My daughter has some of my cassette tapes on her dresser, like a little 80s still-life display... Depeche Mode, baby!

Run Lori Run said...

hey again,
I read your comment about Beanie and my husband says, "Well what'd she say about me?" :-)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I am totally jealous....I learned to drive stick in a VW Bug and I would love to cruise around and be totally cool like you. Keep messing with people. It makes the day interesting.

Etta J.Bunn said...

I really appreciate this post. I've been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thanks again
Kirsten Vintage Rhinestone Bridal Ribbon Headband