Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book Review:: Dance Upon the Air

In an attempt to get away from her violently abusive husband, Helen Remington fakes her death, changes her name to Nell Channing, and flees to the tiny island of Three Sisters. Within just a few days she meets some of the island's residents: the beguiling Mia, who takes Nell under her wing and gives her a job cooking in the cafe that she owns; Ripley, the tough as nails female cop; and Zack, Ripley's brother, also a cop, and OF COURSE he's totally handsome and falls head over heels in love with timid Nell. Of course he does.

It isn't long before Nell discovers that Mia and Ripley have always practiced witchcraft and that they, along with Nell, are descendants of the Three Sisters for whom the island is named after. Magic and witchery is in their blood.

Uh-oh. But evil this way cometh. The women know this because Mia, the strongest of the three, senses it in the wind, or the clouds, or the moon, or something like that. Nell's ex husband has gotten word that she's alive and doing quite well without him, and he is none to pleased about it. He hops on the next ferry with the intent of hunting her down.

Can the combined powers of the three witches stop him before it's too late?

Okay, obviously total chick lit. Not something I would normally read, but a couple of my co-workers were discussing it and it sounded kinda fun, and all in all, it was. It was total mindless fluff that I didn't really have to think about. In a way, it sort of felt like the Twilight series, only for adults, and with witches instead of vampires. The characters were all pretty one dimensional. I knew the story wasn't going to go in any groundbreaking direction and that all would end well.

My biggest complaint would be the descriptions of the kind and gentle (yet somehow also seismic) sex between Nell and Zack. Example: She vibrated beneath him, a volcano on the brink of erupting. Flashes of white hot heat, curls of keen edged longing raced through her system until she was raw and ready. Curls of keen edged longing? What does that even mean? I don't know, I guess it's standard fare for chick lit, it's just not my type of thing.

I imagine it sounds as if I hated the book, but I really didn't. It was a fun, easy read that didn't tax my brain too much. This was actually the first book in the Three Sisters Trilogy and I plan to read the remaining two. Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age, but more and more I find myself needing the occasional junk read.

5 comments:

I and J Mommy said...

Oh my gosh! This is the only Nora Roberts book I've read. Loved the romance. We will chat tomorrow

Maria Rose said...

Hey, chick lit is much like chick flicks, curls of keen edged longing we simply can't suppress.

Liesl said...

I guess junk reads are just like junk food. You can't live off them, but you do kinda need them once in a while.

Run Lori Run said...

Hmmmmmm, since I trust your judgment I *guess* I could entertain the thought of reading a Nora Roberts book. I don't know, if you say so... :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Volcanoes erupting aren't really my cup of tea either. I like Liesl's analogy.