Friday, January 27, 2012

Blech.

I have a case of the blechies. The kids are annoying me. The sound of Jay yelling at the kids is also annoying me.

**********************************************

Work has been weird. There are a lot of changes happening that are kind of awkward and stressful.

Jay's work has also been weird but for different reasons than my work weird. But yeah, two work weirds in one house can be messy.

**********************************************

The speech pathologist at Lucy's school observed her recently and I received the paperwork in the mail today regarding the observation. The bad news is that she is a 'moderate to severe stutterer.' The good news (I guess) is that she qualifies for special help from the school because technically she has a Communication Disorder. I fluctuate between really hating the label because I don't like to think of my daughter being reduced to a label. But also, I know the label is necessary (in regards to funding) for the school to get her the help she needs.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Lucy qualifies for extra help since one of the stipulations is that the stutter has to 'interfere with her ability to learn' and since Lucy is academically quite awesome, that's obviously not the case. But there's this: "Lucy's teacher expresses concern about peers being able to understand Lucy when she has a stuttering moment and that some peers do not approach her because they are not sure if they will understand her or how to communicate." As painful as those words are for me to read, I am so thankful that the girl's teacher is observant and thoughtful enough to include that in the evaluation because it may have been the deciding factor in whether or not my girl gets help at school.

I don't know. The whole thing just hurts my heart. On the eighth I have a meeting with Lucy's teacher and the speech teacher and we're going to set up an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for Lucy. I really don't know what that means. I guess I'm about to find out.

***********************************************

I'm trying to remain cheerful. I actually have a fun weekend ahead of me. Tomorrow the girl and I are going over to Visty's for a birthday party for her youngest. Visty and her people make me happy. Then on Sunday I have a day of doing nothing topped off by a book club meeting. I can handle that. I may stay in my jammies and drink General Foods International Coffee until 4 in the afternoon.

A few other things keeping me from spending the next few weeks crying:

* This song by Woodpigeon.

* This article by Drew Magary. Drew Magary probably isn't on your radar because he mainly writes about sports (I know. Ugh.) But he also writes some totally hilarious parenting articles that are realistic and filled with curse words, as all parenting articles should be.(Note: Drew also writes books, one of which is resting on the back of my toilet as we speak. We're highbrow that way.)

*Olek's crochet graffiti

*Barney Frank is getting married. I want to go that wedding. SO BADLY.

8 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Ha ha that was a great article!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I've been reading Drew Magary all morning now after reading your post! Love it.
I hope Lucy gets better...it's hard enough being a kid these days without giving kids something extra to pick at. =/

Daphne said...

I think Lucy is such a great kid; she is going to do wonderfully no matter what. Sending hugs and hoping the blechies get a little better soon.

Jaime said...

Sorry you've have the blechies (love the word by the way). I've been out of sorts all week, too. I took a 4-mile walk today on the beach. I think if I go again tomorrow, I may just feel normal again. The beach, the woods, anywhere outside - it helps.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Lucy will be just fine and will overcome the stuttering. As a mom (and a very good one at that), I know you won't rest until it gets resolved. These kids absolutely make our hearts ache.

Visty said...

Oh, Tammie. That's a lot of stress. Again, I always read your blog one day AFTER I see you, so that I can maintain my appearance as the most unfeeling, self centered person in the universe.

An IEP is great news. It means that you can kick ass all the way down the road when Lucy needs something at school and some other teacher or aide or substitute might think that she doesn't. It isn't for them to decide anymore; it will be in her IEP. It can save you a lot of trouble. Some parents have to fight hard for IEPs. Sounds like she has an awesome teacher.

If it means anything at all, Ellery has never mentioned Lucy's stuttering and I don't think a flock of wild scary birds would have kept her from approaching. Lucy is such a bright and shiny girl.

Tammie said...

visty: ha! i didnt for one second think you were self centered.

regarding the iep-that's kinda what i thought. and i kow how fortunate we are to get one. i read blogs with moms who have kids with other 'disorders' (borderline aspergers, dyslexia, etc.) and they seem to be really struggling to get an iep. i've been shocked how easy its been for us. (it has been a long process thought. this has been going on since kindergarten.) but ultimately i do think that the teachers especially have been really accommodating and helpful.

Run Lori Run said...

My daughter had an IEP for years which was exhausting because (as you know) you have to actively advocate for your kid. The school's plan isn't always going to work for you. Teachers arent always helpful. Other parents can be a pain in the ass. Kids can be unkind. You have to be hyper-vigilent to make sure she gets what she needs.