Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Decorating 2011

A few days ago I was thinking about the post I wrote last year about our Christmas ornaments. I came home from work and reread it and the comments you all had left and it put me in such a cheery mood. I loved reading everyone's thoughts and feelings about ornaments and why certain ones are special. I really think that the tree is my favorite part of the holiday season so I thought I'd take a few moments to share some of our most recent ornament additions.

These dog portraits were purchased at Goodwill but I think they originally came from Target.Jay was pulled towards these because of the Ryan Berkley feel they have, since Berkley is an artist we both love. Plus, we thought they would go nicely with our dog balls (see post). They are totally corny and totally us. We've actually amassed quite a few dog related ornaments. I was thinking that maybe next year we'd have a smaller table top tree. Possibly it could be dog themed? (If so I may need to purchase these dog ornaments as well.)

These quail were also found by Jay at Goodwill:They're quite large, just a tad smaller than an actual quail. They sit on the branches so nicely and give our tree a bit of class.

These wooden Russian doll-type ornaments were bought after the holidays last year.The girl loves Russian Dolls so these ornaments are her favorites.

As we were digging through our ornament boxes I was surprised that the following one had made the cut last year because I really don't think it even is a Christmas ornament. Just because something has a red string on it, does not mean it has to be hung on a tree.
The note on it reads:

1. Place block on floor.
2. Walk around it twice.
3. SIT DOWN! RELAX!
4. You now just walked around the block twice!

Yeah, I know. It's idiotic. BUT, when the boy saw it he grabbed it from the box and excitedly yelled, "My exercise block! This is my favorite ornament!" So I guess it's here to stay.

One more way in which I've decided to decorate for the holidays is with deer. I have some deer ornaments and I've picked up some figurines at thrift stores, Etsy, and various other places. I'd like to say that I have them tastefully set up around the apartment but the mischievous elves who live with me have taken to rearranging them:
Bad Santa indeed.

What are your thoughts on ornaments? Do you bring new ones in yearly? If so, do you get rid of ones you aren't loving anymore or can you not part with them?

(For other, more spiritual, thoughts on the holiday tree, please visit my pal Jessie who has a lovely post over at Rhythm of the Home.)

6 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You know Tammie -- I'm just really appreciating you right now. You're so darn real, and I mean that in the very best of ways!

I'm not into the "themed" tree kind of thing, more just the memory tree thing. I looked at each ornament on our tree after my boys decorated it (the girl had to return to college to be with her boyfriend) -- and I thought about all of the memories. How my kids used to designate their own zones on the tree for decorating purposes. And the stories they may up to go with the ornaments. I love that. If it were up to me, we'd just sit around and talk about the ornaments and not what is underneath.

And I need one of those blocks right now....My dog needs walking and this would suit me fine. Maybe not the dog, but it's all about me.

Have a great evening!

Daphne said...

Oh, that Santa cracks my shit UP. I laughed out loud at that.

I have a ton of beautiful ornaments. My mom gives me one each year. For a long time I loved really special glass balls. Lately I've been into birds. I have a lot of really special ornaments... no tree for me this year, though, unless I break down and finally get that silver tinsel tree I've always wanted. (I'm usually an all-natural girl, but if you're going to go fake, go ALL THE WAY and go silver tinsel). t

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

That is so something my husband would do with Santa!....well he has actually.

Love your ornaments Tammie. As I said last year my trees and decorations have always been memories,gifts and funny. When I was in my early 20's! I wanted those Martha Stewart perfect trees. In my 30's I always went to homes that had those(not my family) and they seemed so perfect and impersonal and I then appreciated my tree and my famiy's fun, sometimes silly but always meaningful to us type trees. These are what memories are made of.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

The Russian dolls are my favorite.
The Naughty Santa is shocking! =O Poor reindeer.

Run Lori Run said...

My daughter just asked me why I was laughing so hard--You should see our family's dysfunctional nativity scene!

Dani said...

Your tree should win some sort of prize. It's rad.

I have some ornaments from my childhood. A lot that the kids have made. And then we add a few each year, if it's something worthy. This year we added a Darth Vadar and a Yoda and a couple of owls.