Monday, November 28, 2011

The Top Bunk

This is what the girl's bed normally looks like:

All those fuzzy friends tend to hide my handiwork though, so today while she was at school I climbed aboard the top bunk, pitched her pals to the floor, and proceeded to cram myself into some uncomfortably tight corners in order to take the following pictures:This is my first crocheted blanket and it only took me about 8 months to complete. Although in my defense, there were a few months where I didn't work on it at all. It's done in a double crochet stitch which I learned via a YouTube video.

Like all my work, this blanket isn't perfect, but I'm okay with that. I've long since learned that if I waited for my work to be perfect, I'd get nothing done. The gauge is off, especially towards the bottom so the blanket isn't exactly square and the edges are not as straight as I'd like them to be. (How to make perfectly straight edges was in the second part of the YouTube video and I only felt the need to watch the first half.)

But you know, every problem has a solution and if I tuck the sides under like so...........

My shoddy work is hidden and no one is the wiser!

I also made the girl this pillowcase:

Initially the plan was to have the blanket and the pillowcase done at the same time, but the blanket took a bit longer than I expected so she's been using the pillow for months now.

Now, minus the sheets, the girl's bed stuffs are almost all handmade. Well, except for the fuzzy friends.

10 comments:

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love it....I want to snuggle up under it and take a nap.

Maria Rose said...

Awesome! Sometimes those crochet blankets are tricky. I started one, with the smallest crochet hook ever 10 years ago and it is still waiting for completion. In my defense I have made many other blankets in the interim.

Daphne said...

Cuteness!! You are so crafty! Love it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love this blanket!
I wish I could be taught to sew/crochet. hell i can't watch a you tube video and do that. To me that is damn impressive.

Jessie said...

Love it! Good job!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

This probably goes without saying -- but I love that blanket. The extra wide stripes are super. I hope it gets lots of use and love. Nice job.

Veronica said...

It looks great! I love the colors! I've been crocheting a blanket for the past 2 years, then again, i only really work on it when i am plunked in front of the TV. Hope to finish it this year!

mandy said...

oh I LOVE IT!
Good job tammie!

Run Lori Run said...

Look at you! I have zero patience for crocheting/knitting. youtube is a great idea for learning tho...

Dani said...

This is awesome!!!! I'm so proud of you.

I've enjoyed reading over the posts I've missed. I love reading about how happy and content you and your family have become.

And I had a HUGE crush on Harriet Wheeler from the Sundays while in high school and still own that cd.