Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween

My October 31st couldn't have been better. I swapped shifts with a co-worker and worked six days last week just so that I could have the entire day off to spend with friends and family.

I took the girl to school and then walked to my pal Kim's house and we set about de-cluttering her kitchen. Does it sound crazy that we had a blast doing this? We drank coffee, chatted, and listened to 70's music. Five hours and four trash bags later, Kim had counter space to spare and a liquor cabinet she could actually get to. What more do you need out of life?

After picking the girl up from school, I had to listen to her repeatedly ask, "Is it time to go Trick or Treating yet?" for the next three hours. Eventually I gave in, she put on her costume, and we got an early start.

On our way out the door I caught a glimpse of our own candy bowl:
Yep, that's Jesus. Watching over our candy.He was discovered earlier in the day on the top of Kim's refrigerator. OF COURSE I had to bring him home. And OF COURSE Jay had to make a speech bubble for him. I have a feeling Jesus will be with us for a while.

Anyway, Lucy and I hit a few places in our neighborhood before making our way back to Kim's house to meet up with her family:Even though we live in a rental community, so many of our neighbors treat their homes as if they own them, doing things like maintaining gardens and going all out to decorate for the holidays.

Walking the tree lined street:The weather was beautiful and brisk.

Lucy and Isabella, Kim's daughter.
I love that Lucy and Isabella are friends. Not only does it make it easier when Kim and I want to hang out, but Isabella is really good at getting my girl interested in girly things. A few weeks back Isabella was visiting and I caught the girls whispering and giggling. When I asked them what was up they mentioned something about 'fairies' and ran off. In a house with a 13 year old male with a strong personality, there isn't much room for fairy talk. It was refreshing to hear.

After meeting up, we all walked over to the fancy neighborhood where they were handing out full sized candy bars. Because, hey, full size.

The girl and I got home around 7:30 to find only Jay and Jesus. The boy's friends had called him and at the last minute he threw on a bunch of clear trash bags and went out as a condom. As Kim said, "At least he's being safe."

Happy belated Halloween to all of you and I hope you were able to get your hands on at least one full sized candy bar.

10 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This was a hoot on so many levels.
Condoms, Jesus, fairys,full size candy bars and decluttering ones kitchen. God what I'd do for a friend like you near by.

We give away full size too. We heard kids yell - hey this house has big candy! One little guy told rick, I love you man. it was funny. Then our friends came to the door with their little one and when we pulled out the candy Joe said, "Oh you're the guy." apparently as they were heading to our home they heard a bunch of kids at the corner say, "there's a guy down there giving out big candy bars!" struggling to pay our bills but we got costco candy....what is wrong with this picture?

I LOVE your Jesus. i can't wait to show this to Rick.

Maria Rose said...

Oh Tammie you make me laugh! A lot!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Rick wants your Jesus.
I knew he would.
He said Jay needs to change the bubble frequently. You know Jesus would have a lot to say apparently in Rick's mind.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Back in my day, our last minute costume was a ghost. The boy's is much more creative!
I just love your Jesus. I'd love to know if it kept people honest.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Wow -- that son of yours has quite the sense of humor. Let's hope he remembers to always play it safe!

Run Lori Run said...

I wish I had Jesus watching over my halloween candy. Love the speech bubble...

mandy said...

You just rocked my world with that Jesus sign. Seriously, awesome!!!

Liesl said...

Smart move, having Jesus watch over the candy bowl.

Visty said...

I almost put a sign out with our candy bowl in ominous lettering to read "GOD IS WATCHING YOU". I love that you did this!

Daphne said...

Oh my gosh, I love you guys SO MUCH.