Sunday, October 30, 2011

Things I'm Into Right Now

* I'm still riding the high that comes from having a great birthday. It was exactly what I wanted: a trip to my favorite bakery, a trip to my new favorite record store, a few thoughtful gifts from friends and family, and plenty of birthday wishes throughout the day. It was all very low key and sweet and I couldn't have been happier.

*Bridesmaids

* A new-to-me duvet cover from Goodwill. Originally from Crate and Barrel, it's in excellent condition and I only paid $6.99 for it. Score.

*Board games.Of course we've always been big on them around here, but now that I sell them on a daily basis, there has been a steady stream of new ones coming home with me. In the above picture, the girl and I were playing Magic Labyrinth. A few other favorites: Bananagrams, Consensus, Fastrack, and Settlers of Catan. Settlers is a bit too complex for the children but Jay and I like it and are trying to find more folks to play with. It's a good thing Portland has one of the largest Settlers of Catan Meetup groups in the country. (Does the fact that we are actually considering contacting one of these groups mean that we're officially geeks? I think it may. So yeah, if any of my local people play Catan, you know how to reach us.)

*Our Salt and Pepper shakers:Bought by Jay with the girl (who loves all things robot related) in mind.

*Lately The Sundays album Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic has been on constant replay in my bedroom. I listened to this tape in the nineties when it first came out. ( I didn't trust my math and I actually had to get my calculator out and check that it was indeed 21 years ago. Eeek.) I was a sheltered, lonely teenager holed up in my room, wishing I could be anywhere other than where I was and anyone other than who I was at the time. I listen to it now and although I still feel somewhat melancholy, it's cheery knowing I have more control over my own life and the moody music seems almost upbeat to me.

(As a side note: I have to go on an old person's rant here for a moment. My son has never sat and listened to an entire album by one artist. If he likes a song, he downloads that one song. I have to think that he's missing out on something by doing it this way. He doesn't understand how an entire album can help you get through some really shitty times and how you almost form relationships with the people making the music, and that makes me sad. Of course I try to explain this to him but I'm just an old mom talking gibberish. I only hope that one day my nonsense will all start making sense to him.)

All in all I'm just really in a happy place right now which is a good feeling because I was pretty bummed over the summer when it was hot and sunny day after day. But now, grey skies are back, sweater weather is here, and I just couldn't be happier.

What are you into right now?

10 comments:

Carla said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday! Since Sierra is similar in age to your daughter I may have to check out some of those board games.
We quite enjoy Settlers - wanna get together some time.....

M.J. Fifield said...

Bridesmaids was a hysterical film. I loved it!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I just read a post by a man who swears by the loss of albums. He thinks it's great. He was bemoaning the likes of Bon Jovi, Garth Brooks and a few others who refuse to have their music on Itunes for this very reason. These artists listed felt that a whole album is a story and taking one out one song doesn't do the story any justice or the songwriter.

I agree with you. But then again I'm an old fart.

LOVED Bridesmaids.

Tammie said...

carla: if you were a little closer....


mj: i knew id like bridesmaids but i didnt expect to love it as much as i did. i may have to own it and i very rarely actually buy a movie.

peggy: old farts unite.

Run Lori Run said...

This is so true, my daughter does the same thing! She found some of my cds (and realized I actually have decent taste in music) and asked me to name the songs that were "good" so she could download them. She wouldn't listen to the whole cd.... UGH!

Tammie said...

lori: yep, monty did the same thing. he found all my REM cds and i practically begged him to listen to them but instead he just downloaded the songs he knew he already loved. its beyond frustrating.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Finally someone who shares my appreciation for grey skies and rain. Love them -- I've felt guilty for wishing away the sun, but there's just something about darkness that I like. You're right about listening to an entire album. I'm listening to a lot of Pandora at work these days -- and they play a lot of unknown/unheard of tracks by artists. That's hip right? Maybe you could turn your son onto that to expand his reportoire.

Maria Rose said...

I am into cranking the heater until my husband freaks out. Oddly I hate heat in the summer.

I am into laying around and reading while the girl sleeps.

I am into ignoring the cat box until my husband freaks out and does it himself.--Usually takes 24 hours.

Maria Rose said...

Happy birthday by the way!

Daphne said...

What a happy post! I'm so glad the fantastic gloomy autumn is upon you -- isn't it wonderful? We are going to get ours in a week or two. I can't wait.

If it's any comfort, I really do think that albums are going to come back into fashion pretty soon. And vinyl. People will realize that it sounds better, that they can do really awesome things with 10 songs meant to be listened to, together, and it will all come around full circle. And then your son will think how cool you are for already knowing this.