Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Scratch That Off The To-Do List

I got my license today. I can now drive around Oregon legally. As opposed to the slightly illegal way I've been doing it for the last year and a half.

I'm pretty impressed with myself. I passed the test with a 93%. The two people around me failed so, you know, at least I'm not them.

My photo looks like a mug shot, but I guess that's to be expected. The photographer had to take the picture three times to get one that was acceptable. Are you understanding that? If not, let me clarify: Before the final shot was decided upon, there were two photos of me that the DMV decided were too bad to be on a license. The photographer kept telling me to smile and stare at the teddy bear. There was a small teddy bear taped to the camera. It was scotch tape and it was pulled tightly around his poor teddy bear neck. Even Teddy didn't want to be at the DMV. In the end, I didn't smile.

I did register to vote while I was there though. I suppose Oregon doesn't need another Democrat, but whatever. They got one.

Anyway, I'm glad it's over. Now I can get on with my life.

7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow they let you smile.
We were not allowed to smile.
Ridiculous I thought. I look like a damn terrorist. Rick looks like a crazy ass homeless person.

I am proud of you for passing. You know my story of my tests when I moved west. Funny as hell to me but as you know rick found no humor in these events.Did you have to take a driving test too?
I didn't register to vote at my DMV but I did offer my organs. :-)

Maria Rose said...

I waited a year to get my WY license, mostly because I preferred to pretend I wasn't from WY....I am not party affiliated, but I am tempted to register Democrat because the Republicans here make me crazy. I just saw a bumper sticker that read, "Welcome to Wyoming, consider everyone armed." I do...

Daphne said...

That's a funny story. DMV photos are *supposed* to be bad -- maybe the other two were too *good* to be on your license?

I took my CA driver's test on my 23rd birthday and was terrified, because I'd grown up in Oregon being told how bad California drivers were, and could only imagine that they had different rules here or something. But no, it was fine. People just drive badly. It must be in the water.

Tammie said...

peggy: yeah she kept telling me to smile. and when someone tells me to smile, i just cant do it.

and i kept thinking of your ordeal this past month. i didnt have to take the driving test thank god. my birthday is on the 25th though so had i waited any longer i would have.

oh and i forgot to offer my organs! next time. :)

maria rose: i completely understand your political feelings. some of the southern repblicans were pretty scary too.

daphne: im going to go with your logic on DMV photos.

Bilbo said...

There's a cartoon in my collection that shows a beautiful lady getting photographed for her drivers license. To shoot the picture, the photographer pushes a button on the camera labeled "UGLIFY." There's no doubt in my mind that all DMV offices everywhere have cameras with that button.

mandy said...

glad you are legal.
and i had never thought of it until right now, but i guess one positive thing about living in IN is my (dem) vote really does count.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

The world could always use another Democrat! Congrats on being able to drive legally. I'm still working on getting my daughter a license....It's an on-going battle behind the wheel.