Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Never Have I Ever.......

I stole this idea from Cyndy who stole it from someone else and I'd love it if you stole it from me. I think it's a good one.

The list of things I haven't done could fill a book and sometimes when I'm in a dark place in my mind I find myself dwelling on all the things I still want to do before I die. Having lived such a sheltered life, I feel as if I never really started living until I was well into my twenties. I have a lot of living to do before I'm well caught up with all you normals.

In honor of today being my 35th birthday, here's a list of 35 things I've never done:

1. Taken the SAT's. Actually, there are a number of typical high school related things I didn't get to do (prom being another) but this is the one that bothers me the most. As I've mentioned here many times, higher education was not encouraged in the environment I grew up in, so I never bothered to take the SAT's. I always wonder how I'd do. I'd like to think that I'm smarter than the average bear, but a great SAT score would be the proof wouldn't it? Of course, at this point in my life fear and complacency has settled in and the thought of taking the SAT's makes me pee myself.

2. Gone to a funeral. I've also never lost anyone I was really close to. This information could be processed two ways. On the one hand I'm incredibly lucky because no one I truly love has died. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if I'm grossly overdue and that thought frightens me.

3. Lived alone. I went from my parents house to living with Jay.

4. Taken any kind of illegal drugs or smoked a cigarette. I'll probably never try any either. I just have no interest in that type of thing. I'm very dull in that regard.

5. Been to New York City. I used to dream about visiting NYC. Now though, I think I'm more of a West Coast gal. It's so damn laid back here. I don't know if I could go back to the hustle and bustle of the East Coast. I'd probably get run over by a taxi cab.

6. Driven a stick shift. This should come as no surprise since I've also only pumped gas once in my life. I like my vehicles and my driving to be as simple as possible.

7. Been to a foreign country that I actually wanted to go to. As a child I went to my father's home country of Honduras. We stayed with wealthy relatives and hung out in resorts. Most of the country lives in poverty. The difference between what I saw and what I experienced has stuck with me. I guess in a way it was good that I went because it probably helped to shape the person who I am today. But I'd like to one day visit a country and not have the residual guilt of being one of the lucky few with indoor plumbing.

8. Been arrested.

9. Been to a birthday party in my honor or a birthday party for another adult.

10. On that note, I've also never been to a costume party.

11. Eaten caviar. Have any of you eaten caviar? Is it worth it? I kinda want to know what it tastes like.

11. Played a team sport. I'm a klutz and I'm not really much of a joiner.

12. Had a manicure, a pedicure, or a massage. In general, I don't want strangers touching me.

13. Felt comfortable in a bikini. The few times I've worn one, I practically sprinted from my towel to the water.

14. Been in a wedding.

15. Listened to an entire Lady Gaga song.

16. Watched an entire episode of Modern Family. I'm sorry, I just don't get the appeal of this show.

17. Gone skiing or snowboarding.

18. Had sex outdoors. (Note:: This is what happens when I ask Jay for help with a blog post.)

19. Ridden on a train.

20. Actually, I don't think I've ever taken any public transportation. Maybe when I was very young but I can't take credit for that. I need to rectify this. There is plenty of awesome public transportation around here, I just don't think about it.

21. Been camping and I have no desire to do so. I want a hot shower and a comfy bed every night. Honestly, the bed doesn't even need to be that comfy, I could sleep on a half deflated air mattress. But it does need to be surrounded by four solid walls and a door that can lock.

22. Done karaoke.

23. Met a celebrity. Well, a celebrity I cared about. Living in Florida, I used to run into athletes fairly often. I saw Chris Leak at the bank once and I sold shoes to John Vanbiesbrouck but I couldn't care less about athletes, in fact I had to have my resident sports archivist remind of their names. I wonder how I'd react when face to face with a celebrity I actually admire. I talk a lot about celebrities here on the blog but that's mainly for my own giggles. In reality I'm completely unimpressed by fame and even less impressed by wealth.

24. Gone hunting.

25. Read The Hobbit. I feel as if I should.

26. Been drunk in public. I rarely drink alcohol in public and if I do, I usually stop after one drink. I don't mind that buzzed feeling, but I'd rather have it in the comfort of my own home.

27. Eaten a Big Mac.

28. Worn a ball gown or a really fancy dress.

29. Worn a size zero.

30. Broken a bone.

31. Slow danced with my husband.

32. Been to Canada. When I lived in Florida, Canada seemed like another planet. But now, a visit there is much more doable.

33. Watched the sun rise.

34. Made creme brulee.

35. Eaten an apple right off the tree.

What have you never done?

16 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

WOW that is some list.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY - i hope someone gives you number 9 today.

I think I've done all of these sadly enough...okay not all - not 8, 22, 24, 25 and 29. But I'm so much older I'll blame that. :-)
Oh and who ever feels comfortable in a bikini? I'll add that one too.

Caviar to me sucks!! fishy icky.
hated it. rick never liked it until he had it recently made for him with all this other stuff. I think it was the creme fraiche (SP?) and cheese.

Tammie said...

peggy: good to know about caviar. i always wondered if it was really fishy. and of course cheese makes everything better.

and i hope no one gives me number 9. i dont want to be the center of attention.

I and J Mommy said...

What a great list! I bet we could cross some of those off on Monday's. Wonderful idea to make a list of things to be done, I should start working on mine too. Happy birthday

just me said...

Happy Birthday!! No wonder I enjoy your blog so much, one scorpio to another! One of the many things I love about Oregon, never have to pump gas!!:)

Maria Rose said...

Happy birthday!!!

I have done almost everything on your list with four exceptions (I will let you speculate as I am not about to admit anything)

I have never....
~Made a pie. I think it is high time I give it a whirl.
~Dyed my hair brown, it has been every other color.
~Been to Asia, or Africa, or Australia, or a lot of other places.
~Eaten oysters, thank goodness I am vegan and I don't have to try.
~Watched an entire football game, makes me fall asleep bored just to think about it.
I could go on, fun list!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

This gives me such insight into you....I think we need a posting on all you have done. I've never done a lot of things on that list too -- cavier for one. And I only lived by myself (outside of college) for three months before my husband and I got hitched. So -- I don't think that counts. Regarding the SATs -- if you want a SAT prep book, I have about five of them on a bookshelf in my daughter's room. Oh -- you could take an on-line version just for giggles.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Oops -- I forgot to wish you a happy birthday!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Very interesting!
Some of the things that I have done that you haven't, are things I've done pretty recently (like karaoke). I was very sheltered and had a pretty dull life for a long time.
It fascinates me that you've never gone to a funeral.
Oh and Happy Birthday!!!

Run Lori Run said...

Happy Birthday!!! How do you feel about birthday parties now?

Caviar is disgusting.
The Hobbit is AWESOME, but then again, I'm a geek.
Funerals and hard drugs are overrated.

Great list, I want to make one now too... :)

Tammie said...

just me: i know! never pumping gas is great!

jodi: i may take that online test.

lori: okay. i need to find the hobbit. and yes, do one of these lists. its a challenge.

Tânia said...

First of all,
Happy birthday!!! :)

And i think i've done 30 out of those 35 :x

And caviar only sucks if it's not the good stuff. And depends on what you eat it with. Fishy weird texture... But i think it's always worth to try it :)

Again, happy (late) b.day! ***

hester said...

Happy birthday, Tammie. Your list is fascinating. And I'd just like to say that WE all know you are a helluva lot smarter than the average bear.

You are lucky not to have gone to a funeral yet, but don't worry...sometimes it's actually nice to just be with a whole lot of people and tell funny stories about someone that you all loved. So they can be surprisingly ok. (On the other hand, sometimes they really suck! May you not have to go to too many).

Sex outdoors is great in theory and exhilarating leading up to it, but not very comfy in my experience. And potentially dangerous in Australia what with poisonous snakes etc.

I've never tried caviar either, so let me know what you think if you give it a go.

PS Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog recently. It really helped.

PPS the word verification I had to use was "ejacte". What was blogger thinking?

Liesl said...

Happy Birthday!
There are a lot of your haven't-dones that I haven't-done either. Like for instance, I've never smoked a cigarette. I think they are kind of ewww.

I took the SAT's. I remember not doing that well. I was extremely uncomfortable. (Or maybe I'm just not that bright!)

I'm with Jodi. It'd be fun to do a post of all the things you HAVE done.

Jaime said...

I'm late but I hope that you had a happy birthday. In regards to camping, I go camping all the time. I have a camper - walls, hot shower, comfortable bed and a door that locks! Try a camper - it is a great way to be in nature and have your home with you at the same time! Thanks for sharing!

Daphne said...

Happy birthday, girl! I am so far behind in my blog-reading. I love this list and hope you experience all the things on this list that you WANT to.

nonficwriter said...

Happy VERY belated birthday! Now you've got me trying to come up with 35 things I haven't done; the wheels are turning... ;)