I stole this idea from Cyndy who stole it from someone else and I'd love it if you stole it from me. I think it's a good one.
The list of things I haven't done could fill a book and sometimes when I'm in a dark place in my mind I find myself dwelling on all the things I still want to do before I die. Having lived such a sheltered life, I feel as if I never really started living until I was well into my twenties. I have a lot of living to do before I'm well caught up with all you normals.
In honor of today being my 35th birthday, here's a list of 35 things I've never done:
1. Taken the SAT's. Actually, there are a number of typical high school related things I didn't get to do (prom being another) but this is the one that bothers me the most. As I've mentioned here many times, higher education was not encouraged in the environment I grew up in, so I never bothered to take the SAT's. I always wonder how I'd do. I'd like to think that I'm smarter than the average bear, but a great SAT score would be the proof wouldn't it? Of course, at this point in my life fear and complacency has settled in and the thought of taking the SAT's makes me pee myself.
2. Gone to a funeral. I've also never lost anyone I was really close to. This information could be processed two ways. On the one hand I'm incredibly lucky because no one I truly love has died. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if I'm grossly overdue and that thought frightens me.
3. Lived alone. I went from my parents house to living with Jay.
4. Taken any kind of illegal drugs or smoked a cigarette. I'll probably never try any either. I just have no interest in that type of thing. I'm very dull in that regard.
5. Been to New York City. I used to dream about visiting NYC. Now though, I think I'm more of a West Coast gal. It's so damn laid back here. I don't know if I could go back to the hustle and bustle of the East Coast. I'd probably get run over by a taxi cab.
6. Driven a stick shift. This should come as no surprise since I've also only pumped gas once in my life. I like my vehicles and my driving to be as simple as possible.
7. Been to a foreign country that I actually wanted to go to. As a child I went to my father's home country of Honduras. We stayed with wealthy relatives and hung out in resorts. Most of the country lives in poverty. The difference between what I saw and what I experienced has stuck with me. I guess in a way it was good that I went because it probably helped to shape the person who I am today. But I'd like to one day visit a country and not have the residual guilt of being one of the lucky few with indoor plumbing.
8. Been arrested.
9. Been to a birthday party in my honor or a birthday party for another adult.
10. On that note, I've also never been to a costume party.
11. Eaten caviar. Have any of you eaten caviar? Is it worth it? I kinda want to know what it tastes like.
11. Played a team sport. I'm a klutz and I'm not really much of a joiner.
12. Had a manicure, a pedicure, or a massage. In general, I don't want strangers touching me.
13. Felt comfortable in a bikini. The few times I've worn one, I practically sprinted from my towel to the water.
14. Been in a wedding.
15. Listened to an entire Lady Gaga song.
16. Watched an entire episode of Modern Family. I'm sorry, I just don't get the appeal of this show.
17. Gone skiing or snowboarding.
18. Had sex outdoors. (Note:: This is what happens when I ask Jay for help with a blog post.)
19. Ridden on a train.
20. Actually, I don't think I've ever taken any public transportation. Maybe when I was very young but I can't take credit for that. I need to rectify this. There is plenty of awesome public transportation around here, I just don't think about it.
21. Been camping and I have no desire to do so. I want a hot shower and a comfy bed every night. Honestly, the bed doesn't even need to be that comfy, I could sleep on a half deflated air mattress. But it does need to be surrounded by four solid walls and a door that can lock.
22. Done karaoke.
23. Met a celebrity. Well, a celebrity I cared about. Living in Florida, I used to run into athletes fairly often. I saw Chris Leak at the bank once and I sold shoes to John Vanbiesbrouck but I couldn't care less about athletes, in fact I had to have my resident sports archivist remind of their names. I wonder how I'd react when face to face with a celebrity I actually admire. I talk a lot about celebrities here on the blog but that's mainly for my own giggles. In reality I'm completely unimpressed by fame and even less impressed by wealth.
24. Gone hunting.
25. Read The Hobbit. I feel as if I should.
26. Been drunk in public. I rarely drink alcohol in public and if I do, I usually stop after one drink. I don't mind that buzzed feeling, but I'd rather have it in the comfort of my own home.
27. Eaten a Big Mac.
28. Worn a ball gown or a really fancy dress.
29. Worn a size zero.
30. Broken a bone.
31. Slow danced with my husband.
32. Been to Canada. When I lived in Florida, Canada seemed like another planet. But now, a visit there is much more doable.
33. Watched the sun rise.
34. Made creme brulee.
35. Eaten an apple right off the tree.
What have you never done?