Saturday, September 17, 2011

Random Thoughts

Does anyone still read here anymore? I mean, the stats show that there are folks out there, but you're all mostly quiet. I've been blogging for almost five(!!!) years now and the landscape of my own personal blogging community has changed so much within that time. Bloggers have come and gone, some of them have remained in touch through Facebook, email, or in real life through letters and phone calls. Others have just disappeared. It's odd because sometimes some random thing will happen over the course of my day and it will remind me of one of my blogging friends, and it makes me realize how much this little space on the interwebs means to me and how much I'll fight tooth and nail to keep posting here, even if sporadically. I just don't have as much time anymore, and when I do have time I find myself with nothing interesting to say. But I suppose that's nothing new. This blog has never really been known for excitement, just my thoughts, which are only moderately intriguing at best.

Anyway.....random thoughts:

*As is the usual for me around this time of year, I'm totally ready for fall. Cooler weather, sweaters, pumpkin everything, bring it on. I'm even finding myself anxious for new Fall TV. I haven't been really excited about TV in a while. True Blood was a total bust this year, 30 Rock was kinda off and it was moved to 10 which doesn't always work for me, so yeah I'm hoping to find a new show I love.

*Right now I'm reading Empire Falls. It took a while for me to get into it but now I'm sucked in. Have any of you read it? After that I have stacks of books to get through. By the way, I wanted to thank all of you who read Kevin and then commented or dropped me a line telling me your thoughts. I was shocked that so many people read a book at my suggestion. It made me feel like Oprah. Well, a whiter, significantly poorer Oprah.

*There has been teen drama around my house lately. My son had a girlfriend all summer long and she recently dumped him because she wanted to hang out with a guy who was into some (ahem) unsavory behaviour. My son objected and that was the end of that. I was sad for him because they were together all summer and in teen time that's a long term relationship, but I'm totally proud that he stuck to his guns and didn't allow himself to get taken advantage of. Now he's back to hanging out with all his nerdy guy friends, which also pleases me because for the last three months he's had a "ho before bros" attitude that worried me. The bro's are back. They're dorky and annoying but it's good to have them back.

*School seems to be going well for both of the kids. The girl is adjusting well to being in full day classes and the boy seems happy with his teachers. I didn't talk about it much here but last year was a rough time for the boy. He didn't like a lot of his teachers and his math instructor was especially difficult. My son complained that she wasn't a good teacher and the teacher complained that my son just "didn't understand" what was being taught. (Note: I spoke to a few other parents regarding this teacher and it didn't appear to be just my son having problems. So, as lazy as I know my son can be, I couldn't make him shoulder 100% of the blame.) The frustration from that class spilled over into his other classes and he began to have a why bother? attitude. But, that teacher retired at the end of last year and so far this year things have been smooth sailing. I've offered my son a large (by my standards) monetary reward if he brings home straight A's on his first report card. It's not something I would normally do but I want to keep him motivated long enough to get back on track. For what it's worth, I doubt I'll be paying out. I may be wrong though. We'll see.

*Now that the weather is a bit cooler I'm feeling inspired again in regards to sewing and crocheting. I've discovered that when the temperature climbs above 75 degrees, I'm completely uninspired. I had started crocheting a blanket for the girl last winter, but the project's been shelved for the last few months. Who wants to sit around crocheting and sweating? It will be nice to finish some of these projects.

*Finally, earlier in the week Peggy sent me a text reminding me that the rerun of Alec on Letterman would be airing on Wednesday. I set the dvr but haven't watched it yet. Break-ups are hard.

22 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love coming here don't you even think about leaving me.
Break ups are hard!

Maria Rose said...

I read as often as I can without a feeling of guilt.

Just finished the Kevin book. Headed to Goodreads to write it up

Tammie said...

peggy: im not going anywhere yet! and if i were to go, youd find out before i posted it in a blog!

maria rose: i know what you mean. i get to everyones blogs when i can and try not to feel bad about when i cant. but these are my people! i want to know every detail of their lives! there just arent enough hours in the day unfortunately.

Michelle said...

Hi! I always come back to you Tammie! No matter how long of a break I take from blogging, I'm always come back to lurking around your blog. :D

Daphne said...

I've been totally lacking in the blog department lately -- just too busy and tired. But I always look for your posts! I'm glad you've had some teenage boy breakthroughs recently. Teen breakups are the worst! But that is awesome that he stuck to his guns. I have "kevin" on request from the library, don't you worry. :)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I am DYING over your hos/bros comment. DYING.
Wait....you broke up with Alec?
I just saw him on something the other day and thought of you (speaking of randomly thinking of blog friends).
You are in my reader, so when you post, I'm here, Poor White Oprah.
I hope school goes well for the kids.
I'm looking forward to our pitiful version of fall.

Hotch Potchery said...

I just finished Kevin. I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep for while now, my mind is just churning!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Are you having any second thoughts about Alec?

And yes, things in our community, so to speak, are changing. I feel the dynamic shifting a bit. I hope you stick around -- no matter how sporadically it may be. I need my dose of irrgularity. Thanks.

Heidi said...

I'm coming here every now and then ...and I loved your break-up letter to Alec.
I'm sure he is heart-broken , but it's all his fault ;-)
Heidi

Tammie said...

heidi: thank you for your kind words! im disappointed in alec lately. he's being kinda douche-y. it's all very sad. ;)

I'm With Stupid said...

Alec got cut from the Emmy's broadcast for making a joke about News Corp's involvement in the hacking scandal. So, he has that going for him.

- Jay

Bilbo said...

"It made me feel like Oprah. Well, a whiter, significantly poorer Oprah." It's lines like that that keep me reading, even if I don't comment often. Or at all. Hang in there!

vw: grachme - what one says when one wishes to be grached.

Carla said...

I've noticed a decrease in comments on my blog as well. I'm still a faithful reader who enjoys what you write.

Heather said...

Yes! Yes! I Do!-- I read your blog all the time, and I love you! Please don't ever give it up...I get so excited whenever there's a new post, and you don't know this- but you have inspired me in so many ways Tammie! ( I owe you a long letter one of these days...filled with Gratitude!)
You are awesome, and don't ever forget that.

hester said...

Yes..you definitely have a posse of hard core fans who would have serious withdrawals if you quit blogging. Incidentally, I mentioned you to the owner of our favourite toyshop yesterday and told her about the great job you scored. She said they had a guy come in from Portland one day who mentioned an excellent toyshop so we wondered if it was the same one.

I'm so impressed with the fact that your boy has principles. I hope a much more gorgeous girl comes along at some stage who appreciates that.

lieslmade said...

Good for the boy, making smart decisions in regards to the girlfriend. And for the good start to the new school year! Be proud, Mama!

Fall is inspiring me to get more crafty (and bake more) too. Have fun with the creative surge. Looking forward to seeing what you finish up!

Run Lori Run said...

We've goot teen romance drama at our house these days too, I can sympathize....

Tammie said...

heather (#1):

thank you so much for the kind words! and im still waiting on that letter..........
;)

Jaime said...

I read your blogs, too:) I can't remember the last time I've blogged. Things are finally slowing down. I loved Empire Falls - the movie is pretty good, too. Keep on writing - you inspire me to be more consistent and thoughtful. Thanks, Tammie.

Dani said...

I told you I'd make it by here!

The first part of this post totally grabbed me. I relate to everything you said.

I don't plan on giving up my blog. But I've come to terms with the fact that it will be less and different. I had to do a lot of reflecting of why I started the blog, how it has changed, and that I set the rules. Not Blog Land.

I miss you and think of you so often.

Visty said...

Whatever, yo. You haven't even once commented on my newest blog and I've only got like three readers, so it's the least you could do. Jeebus. And have you tried the Value Village in Tigard? It's so much better than the Goodwill.

Tammie said...

HA! im so hoping that your name links to your newest blog. ive been thinking i need to hunt you down.