Sunday, September 25, 2011

On My Mind Lately....

So I guess this is essentially just going to be another Random Thoughts post but I didn't want to have two of those in a row so I gave it a different name.

*Is it Fall yet where you are? Today was the first day that it really felt like autumn. It's cool and grey and rainy. I want to drink pumpkin beer and eat soups that have been simmering all day. I even stopped at a local farm to buy some apple cider but apparently the apples have been slow to ripen this year and cider production is low. (I am drinking pumpkin beer though so the day isn't a total waste.)

*I have yet to get an Oregon driver's license. My Florida one expires on October 25th, my 35th birthday. So I HAVE GOT to get into the DMV before then or I have to take the whole test again. As it stands right now, I only have to take the written portion, and even that I've managed to successfully avoid doing for the last year and a half. I need to just go and get it over with because the whole thing is just hanging over my head and keeping me from fully enjoying my favorite time of year.

*Do you all remember my fake cat Detective Terri Stivers? Jay and I were at Goodwill a few weeks ago and he found some friends for her:I don't know why he encourages me.

As I was walking around Goodwill with my basket of cats, a couple of older ladies came over and were oohing and aahing and then asked if they could hold them. I told them they could but if they tried to run off with my kitties, I would chase them down. (I meant it too!) Nervous laughs were had by all.

*I'm trying not to feel anxiety about the holiday season but I feel it creeping up. The family has a couple of big ticket items on the collective list so I've been stashing money away left and right. We really need a new desktop computer. Ours is about 10 years old and we've affectionately named it Old Wheezy because of the wheezing noise it makes when we turn it on. Also, we've given her the persona of a long suffering, old southern woman who refers to herself in the third person. (Example: Old Wheezy don't wanna turn on today. Old Wheezy's tired. Go use the laptop and let Old Wheezy rest. ) The whole family longs for the day when we can let Old Wheezy go to her final resting place.

*I'm finding myself strangely excited for the season premiere of Family Guy tonight. I guess I'm just in the mood to laugh at something stupid and not think about it too hard.

11 comments:

Carla said...

Other than the leaves turning colours it feels like mid-summer. Hot, hot, hot!!! But I'm lovin it.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

You already know my answer to the fall question.
I'm cracking up about Old Wheezy! Hope you can get a new one soon.
I'm excited about the Jeff Dunham show premiering tonight. I really hope it doesn't suck!

Tammie said...

carla: enjoy it while you can. it will be gone soon enough.

cyndy: i think about you everytime i get a pumpkin spice latte.

also, jay does a really great voice for old wheezy. i wanted to describe it but it wouldnt do it any justice.

Liesl said...

I like posts like this. They remind me of those sampler platters you get of appetizers at restaurants.

It's not quite fall here yet. We had a wonderful teaser recently but it's back to being muggy out.

I just renewed my license a couple days ago. I would not have to take the test again! When I took it as a teen, I used my brother's car, which was less than pleasant smelling. First thing the guy did was roll down the window. I'm pretty sure he let me pass because he didn't want to have to get in that car again. ;)

just me said...

well no wonder I enjoy your blog so much, a scorpio just like me!! Though mine is on the 23rd and I probably have almost 10 yrs on ya!! Wish your fall coast air would hurry and hit us over here in eastern Wa.! We actually went up to our local orchard area Greenbluff and no apples ready there yet either, but we did buy some fresh local corn!

Bridge said...

no comments on SNL last night?

Maria Rose said...

Our computer wheezes too!

Daphne said...

Yesterday and today feel like fall, but it's supposed to be hot again this week (indian summer) and then hopefully fall will come for real in the next 2-3 weeks. I can't wait! I did make some butternut squash soup last weekend... so good! As far as I'm concerned, fall starts now.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I watched FG with my youngest last night. I know, bad mothering. But sometimes you just gotta let go. Get the license thing taken care of - you will feel better. And one more thing....I'm cracking up about the nervous laughter while thrifting. Our local thrift store is filled with very scary people and I try not to talk to anyone when visiting there (of course, I wonder if folks think I'm scary too).

mandy said...

it is totally fall here, for now, it could swing back into summer, but for now it is fall, and i'm loving it, it must be divine where you are.
and yes, go get your liscense, i put it off when we moved here and ended up having to take the stupid test, which i failed the first time. still kicking myself over that whole thing.

Peppermint Patty said...

http://lookshiney.blogspot.com/

I nominate you for Versatile blogger award! (should you choose to accept, then follow the directions list above)