Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Swap

A few months back Kashoan called me with a proposal. She'd been admiring the patchwork pillow covers I had been making (like these and the one mentioned here) and wanted to get in on some patchwork action. But lately sewing isn't Kashoan's thing, jewelry making is. (You can get a glimpse of her handiwork in her Etsy shop.) So, she offered me one of her vintage dictionary pendants in exchange for a patchwork table runner. Of course I agreed, but after I hung up with Kashoan, I realized I'd never made a table runner before. Um, yeah, minor detail.

But I figured it can't be that hard. I mean, Jodi seems to pound one out every weekend. Well, I have a new found admiration for those of you regularly making runners, because this took me much longer than a weekend.

First, a few pictures and then some details:I asked Kashoan what color scheme she wanted. I'm not sure but her exact words may have been, "I don't know. Whatever." I chose for her. Green, red, and yellow/gold. Essentially this was very easy to make, just a lot of straight line sewing, which, not to toot my own horn, I've gotten pretty skilled at. (Toot Toot.) Plus, I didn't use precise measurements on each individual strip, so they're all wonky. I did this for two reasons: One being that I like wonky, two being that I'm far too lazy to do it any other way.

It was time consuming though. Although it looks as if there is no rhyme or reason to the pattern, I did work very hard to make sure that there was never too much red in one section or that the florals were never overpowering.I didn't buy any new fabric for this project, all of it came from my stash or from shirts I can no longer wear because I dribbled coffee down the front of them one too many times.

I wanted the flip side to be a bit more modern so I backed it in this Ikea bird fabric:(I suppose it would have been nice if I'd ironed it before taking the picture, but whatever.)

Kashoan received her table runner today and claims to love it, so I'm pleased. Even though it was a new-to-me project, I had a lot of fun making it. It was one of those semi mindless, kind of stress reducing projects that I can do while watching Law and Order. (Note:: If I can do it while watching L & O, it's probably gonna get done.) Now I want to make more table runners, but I can't make them for myself because my cat will just lay on them. There are no rules against such things in my house. So if I come to you and slyly ask what the measurements of your dinner table are, then you know what's up.

Now onto my pendant.

I was so excited by the prospect of new jewelry. Jewelry isn't in my budget right now. (Things that are in my budget: debt reduction and saving for a second car. POO!) I had trouble deciding which word to choose. I didn't want anything too sticky sweet or overtly upbeat, that just isn't me. So after much discussion with Jay and Kashoan, I finally decided on resilient. (Able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.)I think it fits me perfectly.


14 comments:

Carla said...

I love the table runner! One like it would match in my house....
I really like the pendant too. I'd have one if jewellery were in my budget too! The swap was a great idea.

Jessie B at Luna Pacifica said...

Awesome! I just love the word you chose!

Great job on the table runner! It look great and I love the colors.

I could save the world while watching The Office. Law and Order rules, too.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Your runner looks great. Now I want to make one like that. It's so true what you wrote about sewing in straight lines being a stress-reliever. There is something very rhythmic and comforting about the process. I'm sure you friend is going to treasure it.

Resilient -- good choice.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love both the runner and the necklace. I am heading over to her sight next. No wonder you have no time to blog....work, family, projects, L & O.

kraftykash said...

I just got done taking pictures of my new fabulous table runner to blog about this swap. :) I LOVE it!

Daphne said...

awesome! I love the runner, and I love the description of you. resilient: exactly. And such a cool necklace too.

Maria Rose said...

I looove the runner. I think wonky/lazy is perfect (my style too). The necklace is also really cool! Great trade.

mandy said...

LOVE the table runner. The colors are perfection. Trading is where it's at.

Carol said...

LOVE the table runner! It looks amazing! Make one for me anytime! The necklace is super cute too. . what a great swap!

hester said...

That was a great swap. The table runner is so happy and funky - I'm inspired to do one now with my leftover fabrics. I love the pendant as well - good word choice.

Dawn said...

I'm requesting a table runner.

Tammie said...

dawn: yay! i'll be discussing this with you.

CT said...

I wouldn't believe it is your first table runner! I love it! of course I had to hide it from my hubby, who (whodathoth!) actually wants MORE patchwork around the house! lol! but I WILL make one soon...

And I couldn't find a better word to describe you, unless it had been AWESOME

lieslmade said...

Both the runner and the necklace are lovely! Swaps are fun!