Friday, August 12, 2011

Random Thoughts

Well shit. How do all you people work full time and manage to update your blogs more than once a week? (And when you do it, how do you manage to do it without resorting to cursing in the first sentence?) When I get home I barely want to open up my laptop. But yet I still find that I have the urge to write and have no intention of abandoning my little space here on the internets. Maybe I should carry a notebook to write in and transfer the posts later. I don't know, just thinking out loud here.

Anyway, the randomness:

*Tomorrow is our once a year, big-mega anniversary sale at work. We only have one sale a year and I'm told by co-workers who have done them in the past that it is complete insanity. People come in and grab stuff off the shelves and line up to pay. The line weaves throughout the store, sometimes going all the way to the bathrooms at the opposite end of the building. I'm excited to work the sale, but I also kind of just want to get the day over with.

*School starts in about three weeks. I had begun buying things earlier in the summer and thought I was ahead of the game but I just did an inventory last night and realized the kids still need quite a bit more. Especially the boy. The girl is easy and has no opinions about such stuff but the boy has strong opinions about everything from clothes (of course) right down to what binder to carry. The clothes thing though, has really thrown me for a loop. Gone are the days when I could take him into the Gap, grab a few items and be done with it. Now he wants to drag me into stores with names I'm unfamiliar with, like Zumiez. I feel so uncool when I cross that threshold. The store manager is always about 20 years old and incredibly hip, with a lot of piercings and tattoos. I feel like such a stodgy old woman. The price points are a lot different too. For what I could have gotten a whole outfit at the Gap, I can usually only get half an outfit at Zumiez. Like jeans and a pair of socks. The whole shopping experience has been quite a reality check in more ways than one.

*BOOKS! I've finished two books in the past month, both of which I had planned to review here but never had the time and before I knew it they had to be returned to the library. But I did want to mention a bit about them.

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio. This one started out really good and I read the first 100 pages in just a day or two. But then it went down hill. There were too many characters and it all became kind of confusing and convoluted. By the time I got to the end, I had long since stopped caring about it all. It was disappointing because I had requested this one from the library and had waited quite a while, only to not love it as much as I had hoped. Definitely not the worst book I had ever read, but a let down.

Bossypants by Tina Fey.I love Tina and I loved this book. It's nothing fantastically groundbreaking, but just a fun, easy to read book. If you're a fan, you should read it.

*Today the family and I are headed to OMSI to see the video game exhibit. The girl is so excited she may pee herself. The boy wants to go but would probably be happier going with someone cooler than his nerdy family. He's at the age where we are all horrifically embarrassing. Sorry, dude, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

8 comments:

just me said...

have you read the book series "the hunger games" not sure of auther collins maybe. got the book for my son and ended up reading the whole series before he did. kinda dark storyline but I couldn't put it down and even cried at the very end lol! Glad you are enjoying work, good luck at the sale:)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

My 13-year old gobbled up "Bossypants" -- he is very much in love with Tina Fey. He then went on to read Betty White's novel. I'm not sure what this says about him and his taste in women.

Yeah....working and blogging can be tough. Wait until the kids go to school or get older. You'll find more time.

Dani said...

I've been off work the whole summer and have been lucky to post once a week. I blame that on both laziness and drunkenness.

Once school starts (especially if it's anything like the last half of last year) I'll be one of those bloggers on Google Reader that makes you think "Oh, they are still alive?".

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

Can you write a Dr. Seuss-esque book called, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit?" I would read it to my kids every night! :)

Jessie at LunaPacifica said...

I carry a "brain drain" (as Heather at Beauty That Moves calls it) with me EVERYWHERE I go. A great portion of my posts start from that notebook.

I made my mom buy me stuff from Zumiez. She's still complaining about the prices.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

AFter my weekend I long to be on the computer with my blog - just not with my family. Oh my goodness I swear I am adopted or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

I have wanted to read Bossypants. Your reviews always help me decide.

I think I am so uncool that I don't know what this store Zumiez.
I remember seeing it at a mall I don't frequent as much but for some reason I thought it was all about skateboarding from what I saw in the windows.
I'm old and don't have children so that always makes me feel like an antique.

Daphne said...

I don't have kids, so that helps. I sit at a computer all day so sometimes I start my blogs at work. Honestly, though, I really don't think about my posts much. They've moved from being topical to just being diary entries, which is fine, but a definite reflection on my tighter schedule (with new commute and more house responsibilities)

I love Tina Fey. Will def read this when I get a chance..

craftytammie said...

we say that so much that the kids even chant it to each other! also heard a lot around here - "it doesn't matter what color you get"

i'm too lazy to write things down in a notebook and then transfer it to a blog post. um, write it down twice? nothing i have to say is worth repeating.