Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bubbles

This morning I made myself a fairly lengthy list of things I wanted to accomplish on my day off. I was making decent headway through the list until I got to vacuum under sofa cushions. Apparently my son's candy wrapper collection was too much for the vacuum because it wasn't long before it began to blow instead of suck. I did all the usual vacuum troubleshooting, including watching a YouTube video on vacuum repair. (There's a first time for everything.) After about an hour I had taken the entire appliance apart and put it back together again, I was covered in vacuum dust, and was still no closer to having a working vacuum.

I collapsed on the couch in frustration and began to absentmindedly play with one of the bottles of bubbles we had pilfered from a friend's summer party earlier in the week. (Thanks again Kim!) As soon as the girl saw me she asked if she could blow bubbles too. Together we sat on the couch, in relative quiet, and blew bubbles.
It was, by far, the nicest moment of my day.

As for the vacuum, sorry Jay, I'm passing this one on to you.


9 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

I love the girl's curly concentration tongue! I think I'm going to start keeping bubbles nearby to diffuse potentially grumpy situations. Humph ... should've had them when I cleaned out the garage last night! Oh well ... maybe next time ...

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the girl's hair! So cute. I love blowing bubbles, too.
Sorry about the vaccuum. They are such a pain in the ass.

CT said...

These moments are the best... I love how you captured her, full of the serious concentration only kids have, for the really important things... like bubbles.

Mari said...

My vacuum caught on fire once! If yours blows, you have a good reason not to vacuum!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I regularly break vacuum cleaners. My mother had one (that's ONE) Electrolux vacuum cleaner for 20 years. It got her through raising three children. I've had no less than six. Maybe it's not just you or me -- I don't think they make them like they used to.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

gee that was "divine intervention" I would so prefer blowing bubbles (and yes I have two bottles and no kids - don't judge me!) to vacuuming.

mandy said...

definitely more fun than vacuuming.

and, my goodness, that hair cut is DARLING!

Daphne said...

sorry about the vacuum, but what a cute image this is, the two of you with your cute haircuts, blowing bubbles. :)

AudreyO said...

We used to love to make bubbles. We'd make them in all kinds of pretty colors. It's amazing how many hours kids can invest in bubbles :)