Saturday, July 9, 2011

Wall Art

When we first moved into this apartment almost a year and a half ago(!), I wasn't in a hurry to hang things on the wall. I was still holding onto the dream that we'd make some money on the sale of our house and that we wouldn't be here past a year. Since those plans have changed and we will be in this apartment for a bit longer, all the family photos have been hung, and I've slowly started adding art to the walls.

As my circle of friends has grown to include more crafty and artistic types, I'm finding that typical store bought art just isn't doing it for me anymore. I like to see stuff made by my friends. I have an owl painting of Daphne's that hangs by my bed, and a print of Mandy's over my sewing machine. Here are a few more of the latest additions:

This is The Three Graces and it's a silhouette created by my pal Maria Rose over at Little Things are Big.Years back I mentioned to Maria how much I liked it and a few months ago she finally got her "poop in a group" (her words) enough to send it to me. I was so excited to finally get it, but the frame had been broken so it sat around waiting to be re-framed. Well, today I finally got my own poop in a group, and up on the wall it went. (You can view all of the work by Maria Rose and her talented hubby by going to Planet Wimmer.)

The second piece of art that I wanted to share is a bit of a collaborative effort between me and the boy. You old timers may remember that last year my son made an anniversary card for me and Jay that included this picture, which I used as my header photo for a short while:

Jay and I both loved it and I wanted to find a way to turn it into a keepsake, so I uploaded the image to Spoonflower and a few weeks later I received my fabric swatch with Monty's drawing. It's been sitting around waiting to be framed, which seems to be a recurring theme around here.Anyway, I went to frame it today and realized it needed something, so to make the whole thing just a bit more eye catching, I sewed a border around it. Now even Monty likes it, and initially he hated the idea of having his art showcased. Although he insists on telling everyone that he drew it when he was eight, and not last year when he was twelve. Whatever keeps the peace.

As my search for wall art continues, I'm curious, what's on your walls? Do you buy store bought art or do you make your own?

13 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

I have art my family has created! I get the most compliments from that stuff!

hester said...

I love both artworks and I'm sure the boy's will become a family heirloom.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I wish it were my own. I have not talents remember?

I still love Monty's the best. It makes me smile!

Daphne said...

I love everything in this post! We have a mixture of my art, Terri's photos, and some really beautiful prints on the walls. Would love for it all to be original self-or-friend made, but the prints have specific symbolic meanings so we like them as well. I think as long as you have an emotional connection to the art, then it's soooo much better than a generic Cost Plus print (although I've been tempted, I love some of their offerings sometimes)

mandy said...

i love that drawing of you and jay so much, i'm so glad you framed it. and i'm honored to be included in your art collection! i get most of our art by trading with other vendors at craft shows but i'm also a big fan of 'found objects' as art. a cool scrap of fabric, piece of paper, doiley, neat piece of wood, it's all game for being framed.

CT said...

I have a couple of chinese paintings, one of some blossoms and another of a branch and a couple of birds. Then two engravings by a friend and his 98 years young classmate, and a map of the journey that takes place in The Hobbit (big Tolkien fan here)other that that, only family photos

Run Lori Run said...

What a great idea... I'm going to see if I can do the same thing with some of my daughter's drawings.

I like having art from my friends on my wall, or at least art from people I've met blogging. I have a few things I've made but I like to collect things that inspire me along the way.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

My house has a lot of needlecrafted artwork on the walls and on the walls alongside the staircase, I have antique mirrors going all the way up. The light reflects really well there and brightens up what would otherwise be a dark space.

I own a Mandy creation as well -- in my laundry room.

Copper Wall Art said...

The picture is awesome. Every now and then one of my kids will bring me a picture they drew at school or while playing. I always put them on my fridge, but I'd never thought to frame one...that would make their day. Thanks for sharing!

Carol said...

We have a lot of pictures of the kids, some store bought decor and a few homemade items. I like the homemade stuff, just wish I had more free time and more of a knack for it! Which reminds me, Did you ever try making the rugs with the plastic grocery bags?! I mentioned it in a comment a while back about the Amish who do that.

Dani said...

I love all your art! It's all very different, which I like.

We have mostly concert posters and fliers decorating our walls.

Visty said...

I can't believe it never occurred to me to upload kids' drawings to spoonflower. BIG DUH. What an awesome idea. I have wanted to preserve some of my favorite on fabric and just could not face the embroidery.

Maria Rose said...

What a bummer that the frame was broken! I also love the boy's and the way that is was framed and matted.