Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Job Related Random Thought

I continue to be thankful that not only do I have a job, but that I like the job that I have. My coworkers are all good, hard working people and none of them really irritate me. I never look at the schedule and think, Ugh. I'm working with so-and-so. Great. I'll need to make this bearable, better not forget the whiskey filled flask today.

The customers aren't bad either. I've found that very few people come to a small, independent toy store in a pissy mood and it's hard to get into a pissy mood if you're in such a fun environment. If someone does get into a bad mood it's usually because their kid keeps asking for a $200 doll house or their husband won't stop playing with the instruments in the music section, neither of which are my problem. So my job is virtually stress free.

That being said, I will state this complaint: People who want to stay and shop past closing time. Most of the time it's innocent folks just being dumb about time. Fine. But when someone says to me "What time do you close?" And I say, "Five minutes ago." The correct response is not, "Okay, well I'll only be a few more minutes." Experiences with people who say that has led me to a realization about myself: My skills as a salesperson have a Jekyll and Hyde-like quality. I am great up until closing. But after closing, much like a werewolf on the night of a full moon, I become a monster. As I've mentioned before, I'm also a horrible actress and it's really hard for me to disguise my true feelings. So even though I'm trying to smile at this poor unfortunate jerk who finds themselves asking me about Legos at 8:01, I know that in actuality I probably look like an uncontrollable, newly turned vampire ready to suck the life blood out of them. What's worse, I don't care. I want them to be scared. I want them to run.

Because of this I try to just stay away from people right before closing. There is always trash to take out or a toilet to clean.

12 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

people's inconsiderate nature never seems to amaze me. Who does this? How else does this rude behavior and inconsiderateness (is that a word?) manifest itself in their lives and to all the others around them?

I also bet they clock out of work before it's even time to leave. I'd bet on that.

Glad you're loving your job though!

Carla said...

I so get it! People who stay past closing at my job totally makes my skin crawl and it is very difficult to keep that smile. At my job, my biggest pet-peeve is when one of the optometrists is behind schedule and brings a patient out at 5:20 and we close at 5:30 and expects us to still go through the entire glasses buying process (usually 20 minutes minimum). Often when said patient learns the time they say they will come a different day but occasionally not.
I've learned to never shop close to closing anymore though!

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

hahaha! I can so relate. I used to hate people who would drive up to the gas station, knock on the LOCKED door and beg me to re-open the register for them so they buy cigarettes. Uh-unh. Closing time is closing time. *L*

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Here here! I couldn't agree more. I get the same way when I'm ready for bed. I can be a wonderful, patient and kind mother all day long, but when I want to go to bed my mothering mood turns foul and my kids better just leave me alone.

Daphne said...

That's so funny. And probably, exactly the right attitude to get them out of the store! Who needs to be shopping for toys after 8 anyway!!

hester said...

This made me laugh...and wonder if I have been guilty of lingering in a shop too close to closing time. I'll have to watch myself!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

People who expect to shop after the store's posted hours seem to have an attitude of "my time is more important than yours." It was a big pet peeve when I was a waitress.

Dawn said...

You may be watching too much TrueBlood.

Tammie said...

dawn: i only watch one episode a week. can you honestly say that?

Dani said...

I was the same way.

Unless it was an Eddie Vedder look alike.

kraftykash said...

This happens to my Mom all the time. She works at a kids consignment shop here in town. She deals with a lot of rude people.

heather said...

ooh no. you need to look at them with your vampire power, straight at them. but you know what, i used to do that for whatever reason at stores i've worked at and two times i was asked if i'd like to have an office job, or a job in the back kitchen, because my customer service skills were not so great. ha. my destiny. getting the job in the back kitchen of one health food store led me to learn how to bake, which led me to meet my husband, the baker at his little bakery. not sure what my point is. glare and get a different job which will lead you down a different path obviously, or learn to walk away when you can't keep your glare in and keep that specific job. silly thoughts. i liked this post.