Saturday, July 2, 2011

Color Me Employed

The search is over. I have a job. As of this week I am employed at a local independent toy store that I love, love, love, and have mentioned here before but will not mention again because I want to keep this part of my life separate from that part of my life. I do want to talk a bit about how I came to get this job because I think it's sort of interesting how everything fell into place.

When I first started job hunting, I kept meaning to apply at this toy store because not only do I love it, but its core values are in line with mine and I definitely feel a connection to the people that work there. But, I kept thinking, It's a smaller business, turnover is probably really low, they're not hiring, blah blah blah. You know, all those little negative thoughts that seep in and keep you from going down the path you really want to travel. So I never applied.

Meanwhile, I apply for at least two dozen jobs and I interview with two different companies. The interviews weren't bad, but in hindsight I probably wasn't as excited about them as I could have been and obviously the interviewers felt the same way because I never heard back from them. I was starting to feel like a total reject when Cyndy pops over and says, "You should check out Craigslist." And I'm like, "But Cyndy, isn't Craigslist filled with rapists and people who want me to show up for work in a thong and nipple clamps?" Cyndy says, "No way! I got my job through Craigslist and I don't have to wear nipple clamps to work." (Okay, it went nothing like that, but you get where I'm going here, right? )

So, the next day Jay is sitting at the computer playing his fortieth Mah Jong game of the day (It's how he unwinds!) and I'm relaying what Cyndy said when he says, "My company places Craigslist ads all the time, I know how to weed through the junk, I'll check it out for you." Because I know for a fact that Jay doesn't wear nipple clamps to work, I said, "Have at it." He went to Craigslist and within minutes was reading about how my favorite toy store ever was hiring. So of course I hightailed it over there, dropped off my resume, and within a few hours they called me back to set up an interview.

Two days later I return for my interview with the owner. I was nervous, but not as nervous as I had been at the other interviews. I think this was because this time I wouldn't be faking it. (I'm not good at bullshitting and pretending to be passionate about things that I couldn't care less about. ) The interview went amazingly and the owner and I just clicked. That afternoon she called and offered me the position.

My first day was yesterday and I know I'm going to love this job. The owner was a children's therapist for twelve years so she feels strongly about creative, open ended play and playing with a purpose. She doesn't want her employees to be just cashiers, but she wants them to be knowledgeable of the products. My first shift was spent walking the store with the assistant manager, learning about almost every single toy, where it's made, what it's made of, what type of child it's best suited for, and so on. Because of this, I feel as if my job is more than simply 'selling toys.'

I'm still so amazed how everything worked out. I'm never one to really believe in fate or that things happen for a reason, but I can't argue with the fact that Cyndy's simple comment about Craiglist was what prompted me to apply for the job that I really wanted. (Thanks again Cyndy!) I also think that the experience gained from the previous interviews (and subsequent rejections) I had, made it possible for me to clearly see what kind of job I really wanted. I'm trying not to over think it all, but it feels good that something worked out in my favor.

17 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

Yay, you!!!

I'm glad you are so happy, but a job to get some adult time where there will be tons of kids? No my cup of tea!!!

Maria Rose said...

WOOOOOO! Congratulations! I am so glad you found something you care about!

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

Wow! Craigslist.. who knew? I'm so happy that you have the perfect job for you!

Daphne said...

This is so awesome!! I am so thrilled for you. Perfect, perfect.

(my company, which is actually a pretty large company, uses craigslist too... and we DEFINITELY don't use nipple clamps at work)

Carla said...

Congrats Tammi! It sounds like a cool job.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I'm dying at the thought of my nipples being clamped or adorned in any way. They hang a little low for all that! Haaa...anyway I'm so glad that I had a little part in this whole thing, and I hope its everything you want it to be!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

YIPEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so thrilled that you got this great job. It sounds like a perfect fit.

BTW Rick as HR used Craigs List as a tool for hiring as well. Not just for rapists anymore. :) I think that is their new slogan.

Tammie said...

peggy:that SHOULD be their new slogan!!!

Mandy (ZenMonkeyMind) said...

Working at a toy store would be so much fun!

I found my current job on Craigslist, too! But, I DO wear nipple clamps to work.

Just kidding :)

Tammie said...

HA HA HA! i keep waiting for some anonymous troll to leave a comment saying how this post speaks negatively about folks who DO wear nipple clamps to work.

mandy said...

very cool sounding job Tammie! Congrats.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Oh happy day! This sounds perfect for you. I just couldn't see you doing a job that your heart wasn't into....I'm so glad it all came together.

Jaime said...

Good for you. I agree, true passion cannot be faked. Wishing you well.

Dani said...

So happy for you! It's nice to earn some money doing something you enjoy.

And I'm really glad you aren't having to resort to wearing nipple clamps. That would get tiresome after a while, I assume.

hester said...

That's fantastic news! I was picturing you in a small independent bookstore but this sounds even more perfect. We have a similar sounding toystore near us where the owner is now like a favourite aunt. Well done you clever woman.

Run Lori Run said...

oh you crack me up. Glad to hear nipple clamps weren't a requirement. Congrats!!!!

victoria said...

I'm catching up with your blog. wow, what a great story! congrats!!! even though it's almost a year late!

Ive been using Craigslist for 9 years. I couldn't live without it. it started in the SF bay area and people there have always used it for everything. I've bought cars, sold cars, all furniture, appliances, job hunting etc etc etc. I have friends in the bay area whom have bought and sold their houses. I've rented all my apartments and houses off CL the past 9 years. For some reason it has a weirdo factor in other parts of the country. esp. when I was living in the South. even though, there, I sold everything on there before we moved back to San Fran. obviously it's because they had the prostitution thing. I think that freaked the Bible Belt out. But, come on, it started in San Francisco, what do they expect? it's a shame though, George's friends refuse to use it who live in South Carolina. Silly.