Sunday, June 5, 2011

Grumbles and a Happy List

I've always hated Sundays. I think it all began when I stopped liking church. Where I grew up, there were a lot of different congregations meeting in the same building, because of this our church service wasn't always in the morning, sometimes it would be at noon or three. When you have to be somewhere at noon, it just puts a damper on the whole day. Not to mention the fact that this was Florida, and beyond the AM hours it was far too hot for church clothes, so I usually ended up sweaty. Afterwards, we'd come home, my dad would fall asleep on the couch watching reruns of something like Matlock or Bonanza, my mom would read or start cooking dinner, and I'd hide out in my room and wait for Monday. Nothing was bound to happen on Sunday.

Now, I obviously don't have to go to church anymore but it's still my least favorite day. When Jay's home it's not bad because together we find ways to stay busy, even if it's just by playing Trivial Pursuit or traipsing through the woods but when he's not home it's just more of the same: ME AND THE KIDS. Lately, I'm thinking that could be the title to the book of my life: ME AND THE KIDS. (One of the reasons I was so looking forward to the job I did not get, was the chance at spending time away from my children. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and mama needs some absence.)

Today is one of the ME AND THE KIDS days. And as awful as this may sound, they are seriously the last people on earth I want to be with right now. The fact that its almost 2 PM and they are still in their pajamas is really grossing me out. Also, I have no patience for their petty bickering. I suppose as their mother I could go out there and make them get dressed and stop fighting, but that involves more energy than I'm willing to expend at the moment. After yesterday's let down, I kinda just want to lie in bed and watch all the Law and Order's that I've recorded. But life is refusing to stop for my let down.

I know that I shouldn't complain. In the grand scheme of things my life is good. Sure, right now I have a minor cash flow problem and I want to lock my children in a sound proof room, but other than that, my life really isn't that bad. Before I go I want to share a short list of things that are making me happy lately:

*Since moving to Oregon, I've met so many people but I finally feel as if I've made that one friend that everyone needs to have close by. The kind of friend who doesn't mind if you stop in unannounced. The kind of friend who is never embarrassed by her own messy house so you know she doesn't care if your house is a complete disaster area. I no longer want to be friends with women with pristine homes. Sorry, I know it sounds harsh, but I need signs of life. I need laundry everywhere and dishes in the sink. I need to see the clutter that comes from a busy family. Shiny counter tops and spotless bathrooms no longer impress me.

*This past week I finished this pillow:I started the embroidery a few weeks ago, not really having any set plans for it. Eventually it became a large piece in a patchwork pillow cover.

*My last little bit of happiness comes in the form of this $5 garage sale find:

I have no idea what these things are called but it's sort of like a tackle box for embroidery floss and I've been wanting one for a while.A funny story about this floss tackle box:

Last year shortly after moving here, we went to a garage sale near my house. The woman was selling tons of craft supplies including three such boxes. I carried them around for a bit but ultimately decided not to get any of them. Since then, every time I get out my round vintage tin that holds my jumbled mess of floss, I would get a little pissed at myself for not having bought at least one of the boxes. Fast forward to this morning, Jay and I are out enjoying a quiet drive before he has to leave for work. We see a garage sale sign and as we near it we realize that we've been to this family's garage sale before. I go right to the craft table and there sits the three embroidery floss tackle boxes. I was smart enough to snatch one up this time.

I guess good things can occasionally happen on a Sunday.

12 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

I am a spotty crafted, but I totally dig that box. Did all the floss come with it?

Every once in awhile my phone will ring and it's one if my kids and I think, "Ugh. I don't have the energy."

Tammie said...

hotch: yes, it came with everything! i was so excited.

Not Hannah said...

Sa WEEET find!!

Daphne said...

Our house is a complete disaster right now. It is Dog Central. Ripped up toys, water on the floor, plus we are overwhelmed by this so everything is just super messy.

Come on over!

hester said...

I was about to ask the same question as Hotch Potchery. Wow! All that nice embroidery floss as well.

Yes...as my older sister once said to me before I had children "I hope you don't think this is fun". If only motherhood came with a day off per week, it would be a pretty good job.

Your new friend sounds great. I love friends with messy houses too. Everybody can just relax.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You would love me because I do not have a pristine home. I can't see my kitchen island most days, we have more shoes on the first floor everywhere than in the upstairs closets, the inside stuffing of a toy all over the floor.
MY TIP - NEVER EVER HAVE DARK WOOD FLOORS. they look nice on TV but if you LIVE in your home they never look nice except for 3 minutes after washing them!! You can not "hide" anything.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I could write a book about my sucky Sunday. Maybe we could collaborate? Anyhow, that floss-find would make up for a lot of misery.

Maria Rose said...

I am sorry to hear about the job, that just sucks.

I love the pillow, it is cool.

I stole a floss box from my mom when I left home and I still use it all the time, good choice!

If you ever visit my house it will look clean, but rest assured that there is serious danger lurking in corners and closets. Hope that counts.

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

I'm one of those who feels "off" when my house isn't tidy for company. I'm horrified if people stop by unannounced. But, with my VERY close friends, I have nothing to hide. :-)

I love the embroidery!Score on the floss!

kraftykash said...

People who say they do not at some point want to put the kids in a sound proof room are liars. LOL

I am LOVING your pillows that you are making. I really need to do that one of these days. Nice embroidery! I tried it once, I suck!

Hang in there sweet girl

Dani said...

I have always hated Sunday nights...except in the summer. Right now I'm totally in love with Sundays. That will change soon enough.

My house is not spotless...not by my OCD standards. Lia disagrees. Right now I have two mega baskets of laundry in the garage that need to be folded. Dishes are in the sink from making cookie dough balls (future post). And I've been laying on the couch sleeping all damn day with the cats because my period is due any second and I'm in a piss poor mood.

My mood was made double bad because when I awoke my dad had left a text that they couldn't watch the kids this weekend because my mom was having some bad seizures. I always know this can happen, but I had really been looking forward to drinking lots of margaritas and having fajitas while they were gone. It's not the same when they are along.

So I might join you in Law & Order this weekend.

Good craft score! And *very* cute pillow.

Run Lori Run said...

I'm not quite secure enough with myself yet to NOT be embarrassed with the state of my home if someone stops in unannounced. I envy your ability to let this go! My house never ever EVER seems to be clean anymore...

Bummer about the job too...