Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day Dessert

Jay doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, unlike myself or the kids who will fight to the death for the chance to suck the remaining cake batter off of the mixer paddles. Jay knows I love to bake though so, letting me have my fun, he requested this Lemon Icebox Surprise after seeing it in the most recent Penzey's catalog. (You can view the catalog here, this specific recipe is on page 52. Also, thanks to Peggy for turning me on to this great company!)

We weren't sure whether to classify this as cake or pie, since it really is neither. It has the taste of lemon bars, but with the consistency of cheesecake. But it is baked in a pie dish so I suppose we can go with pie.

As I was looking over the recipe, I got a bit scared when I saw that I'd have to use egg whites. I tend to avoid recipes that call for me to separate eggs. It's just a silly hang up of mine. Anyway, for the sake of my baby daddy's happiness, I braved the eggs, all was well, and a yummy dessert was made.

6 comments:

Run Lori Run said...

I've never heard of this company but their catalog looks pretty cool. And that pie/cake thing looks awesome!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That dessert looks amazing. My daughter made a very rubbery Boston Cream Pie (cake). It's taking up space in the fridge right now because no one will eat a second bite and I don't want to hurt her feelings by stuffing it down the disposal.

Maria Rose said...

Pretty!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh I saw this and thought it looked like an easy summer treat!
Isn't Penzey's great? Their vanilla is sooo good in baking.
So happy you are enjoying this company as much as me.

Rick told me when I first met him that he didn't like sweets or cakes etc. After 24 years he has come to the other side. Now I have to share the beaters. :-(

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

BTW the new header is, as usual, stunning.

Dani said...

Mmmmm. Love ice box desserts. If only for their cute name.