Sunday, June 12, 2011

Book Review: Faith

Over time, Sheila McGann has distanced herself from her staunchly Catholic family. But when her brother Arthur, a popular and well loved priest, is accused of molesting a young boy he was close to, Sheila finds herself going home to find out the truth and deal with family members who have already made up their minds about Arthur.

I don't know. For me this seems to be the year of lackluster books and Faith is another one that falls into that category. It wasn't a bad book by any means, it kept my attention and I was anxious to see how it would end. But then when it did end, I looked back and, once again, thought, Eh.

I didn't think most of the characters were fully developed, and the ones who were well developed were minor, so I was never really able to root for or against anyone. After a while I just stopped caring about what the truth was. Also, the big moments in this book end up being let downs. For instance, the book jacket hints at hidden truths and "long buried secrets" but when these revelations are finally made, they're not really all that shocking or surprising.

That being said, lately I've been finding myself drawn to books that are nothing like my actual life. Job hunting and parenting have been kicking my butt lately and I've been wanting to read books that don't even mention those topics, so in that sense, this book fit the bill and was a bit of an escapism read for me.

All in all, Faith wasn't a bad book, just one that will be forgotten about as soon as I return it to the library.

6 comments:

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I could have written a similar review about so many books I've read lately. Poorly developed characters, and all these allusions to explosive twists & secrets, only to reveal....nothing, really.
It stinks.

CT said...

I really feel cheated when a book is so-so. I'd rather it was bad so I could leave it and stop wasting my time!!!!!

do you like fantasy?

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You, me and Dysfunctional....lots of books, but nothing that great getting read. Oh well. I just started "The Help" this morning. We'll see how that one is. At least "Faith" is topical -- enough of those accusations going around.

I and J Mommy said...

Well I think I can recommend a good read if you haven't already consumed it. The Help, read it loved and and can't stop discussing it with others who have read it. Let me know, I can always borrow it for you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I haven't read a book I LOVED in forever. I'm into biographies right now and I have to say while darn interesting, they are not something I can't put down.

Dani said...

I'm gathering my book stack in the next few days. I don't think this will be in it...

But I did look at your Goodreads info and used a lot of your picks to create my list. But always open to suggestions for more...