Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Random Thoughts From A Jumbled Mind

*So.....I just tried to take my daughter to school but found out along the way that school is delayed because there is a black bear "loitering" (odd word choice care of the local news) in the field behind her school. We trudged back home, flipped on the news, and sure enough there is a giant bear hanging out not far from my apartment. They hope to have the bear removed and school opened by 9:00, but since the girl is only in school until 10:30, I highly doubt I'll be taking her.

*Since Sunday I've had two job interviews with one company, a high-end skincare and cosmetics company which shall forever remain nameless in this little corner of the internet. In a week or so I have a phone interview with the main office of said company, sort of a personality test type thing. After that I'll know (hopefully) whether or not the job is mine. I mean, everyone I talk to seems to really like me, so it's looking as if I will soon be a working gal, but I don't want to get my hopes up only to be forced to deal with crushing disappointment. But the fact of the matter is that this is the first *real* job I've applied to in 13 years and the more I think about it, the more I want it, so if I get it, it will do amazing things for my self esteem. If I don't get it, I may crawl underneath my bed with some cookie dough and hide out for a week or two.

*I also have a folder full of applications to return if Opportunity Number One doesn't pan out. But I really want Number One. Although it would initially be part time, there seems to be a lot of potential for advancement and it could eventually be more of a career than a job, and a good career at that.

*I have been so anxious lately. I think I've eaten more Tums than food.

*In other news, my kids still have about two weeks of school left. I'm pretty much dragging them out the door at this point. Mentally, they are both anywhere but school. As for me, I'm sick of packing school lunches and I'm totally uninspired in regards to what I throw in the brown bag everyday. Yesterday my poor son had three cookies, two granola bars, some fruit, and a bottle of water. I momentarily considered throwing in a few Tums, but thought better of it. (Hey, they are a great source of calcium.)

*The entire country is dealing with record high temperatures. Except us. It's 52 degrees right now. Saturday our high is supposed to be 83 and I think that will be the warmest day so far this year. It may sound as if I'm bragging (and I kind of am), but I've done my time with the heat and feel I've rightfully earned a bit of a reprieve.

*I have a sewing project and a handful of crochet projects in the works and hope to be finished with at least one of them soon. I've been doing a lot of crafting lately to keep my mind off of all the things in my life that I can't control.

*Jay and I have been spending our evenings re-watching all seven seasons of Homicide: Life on the Street. This gritty, police drama originally aired in the early-mid nineties and the love of it is one of the things that brought Jay and I together. It feels like we're dating again.

8 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have never seen Homicide - is that the Andre Braugher show?

My personality test at Starbucks was funny. If a customer is asking for help and information about a product as you are leaving because your shift is over what would you do? a. help the customer even though you are punched out. b. tell her you will get someone to assist her and tell a co-worker? c. tell her your shift is done so to go ask someone else.

I guess they figured if I picked c. I was not the personality fit for them. It was a lot of how I socialize and deal with people and co-workers. I was so stressed. I knew what i would do quickly when looking at these questions but I had to think if that was what they wanted to hear. But I went with the real me.

I hope you get this!

Tammie said...

peggy: yep, its the andre braugher show. and i think you know how i feel about him.

im scared of the personality test. im told there are no "wrong answers" but of course there are or there would be no test, right? ugh.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Oh good luck with the job search. It's so stressful, I know. I'm the HR person at my work and it's so difficult picking the "right" candidate. A lot of times, it's no reflection on the actual candidate or their skills, but more on whether the candidate will fit in with the rest of the department. So no matter what happens, I think you should forge ahead and not take it personally. You have a lot to offer any employer and you want to work. Believe it or not, I run into many people who are just going through the motions of applying for jobs, but they are not really interested in the day-to-day work and they turn out to be unproductive and sometimes counter-productive.

And about these children.....Mine go to school until the end of June and I can't drag them out the door without assistance from my husband. My daughter is so over high school and Jeremy is a bed-larker on a good day. I'm so frazzled by 8 am that basically my day is shot. Argh.

Daphne said...

Oh, I hope you get the job. I think that would be so awesome!!

I love that there is a bear roaming around by you. We often get mountain lions here, believe it or not.

Crafting is a good idea. I should be making something. I have a lot of anxieties right now, but all I seem capable of doing is browsing through seed catalogs and watching bad TV. Oh well.

Maria Rose said...

I packed Eric a similar lunch today. I threw in some vegan jerky to keep him silent!

Maria Rose said...

Good luck with the job!

Dani said...

Awwww. Nothing like a gritty police drama to fill the room with love.

Maybe The Mr. and I should watch old Croc Hunter episodes (long story).

The past couple weeks of school were a total blur around here. I mean, we had been in school since mid August. Please. We were done. I stopped making The Boy do homework. It was survival mode. I hope you all survive survival mode.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

OK this is weird - around that same time, there was a black bear roaming around Gainesville!