Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New Pillow Covers

Shortly after we moved here, I set to work assembling some log cabin squares fully intending to make a quilt. I made about a dozen squares, using lots of greens, yellows, and oranges. I think initially I was going for some type of modified citrus theme. Anyway, as is usually the case with me and quilting, I grew tired of the project pretty quickly. I'm finding that I'm filled with dozens of ideas for large projects but not much patience to see them through. I get distracted by books, TV, or the family and when I finally return to whatever poor project I last abandoned, my enthusiasm for it is gone and I'm on to something else. So, the squares and remaining fabric got thrown in my desk drawer.

About two months ago I got everything out again but didn't feel like doing log cabins so I just started sewing the strips of fabric together with no real purpose. A few days later it all went back, once again, in the desk drawer. Which was where they remained until this morning when I decided my bed needed new throw pillows.
My favorite part about these pillow covers is that they can be taken off and washed, because they have that overlap thing going on in the back:I had never done that before but after making my own cloth sandwich bags (via this tutorial), I figured it was the same general idea.

As I was making these, I wasn't all that into the project, but as they started to come together I really began to love the way they look. I've come a long way with my sewing and it feels good to say that I made something that doesn't look like crap.

The cat likes them too.

10 comments:

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

You sound like me. I'm so bad at finishing projects. Unless it's a realllly short and easy one and I have everything i need right at my fingertips...

Adorable cat, pillows AND bedspread. I hope I can find time to sew/ not sew some projects again here pretty soon.

hester said...

Ummm...yes....I have an unfinished patchwork table runner that would take me just a few hours to finish but I just can't find the motivation to do it. Your cushions are gorgeous. I'm going to have to try it, so thanks for posting the link to the cloth sandwich bags. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I've been on a pillow-making kick lately too. It's very satisfying to finish a project before boredom sets in. They look marvelous on your bed.

Jess at LunaPacifica said...

Cute! I like. I also like grey cat.

Daphne said...

These are awesome! I tried making pillows for my couch but didn't make the envelope deep enough. I need to make some "ties" to keep them closed. These are beautiful.

Gina said...

These look awesome, Tammie!

Aleta said...

I love the colorful pillow covers! You make me wish I knew how to sew :)

Run Lori Run said...

I like making things that don't look like crap too. :)

Dysfunctional Mom said...

So pretty!

Dani said...

Love them! You did good.