Saturday, May 14, 2011

Gub-Gub Brownies

(I'm pretty sure that I've written about these brownies here before but it was probably a while ago and I don't really feel like looking anyway. Plus, they're so tasty and unique that they're worth mentioning again.)

It's been a long time-at least two years-since I've made these. The other day I was kind of absentmindedly fumbling around in the kitchen when I said to no one in particular, "I need to make Gub Gub brownies again." The boy jumped from the couch and yelled, "Oh my god, yes! Please!" How could I say no to that kind of enthusiasm?

Despite my sweet tooth, I actually hate most brownies. But these are different, more like some strange, gooey chocolate chip cookie/brownie hybrid. The recipe comes from Ayun Halliday's Dirty Sugar Cookies, which is one of my all time favorite books.It's part funny memoir, part cook book and it doesn't disappoint on either count.

I'm not going to post the recipe here because I can't find it anywhere on the internet and I don't want to be the first to plagiarize Ayun Halliday, so to further entice you to buy the book (or at the very least, get it from the library), here's a picture of the pan of brownies before being popped into the oven:

Raw eggs be damned...yum.

There is another recipe from Dirty Sugar Cookies that I have been dying to make but have never tried and that is the Shitty Kitty Confection, which has some of the best instructions in the book, such as Get ready to fuck up your blender with one package of vanilla sandwich cookies. It's basically a cake/cookie/pudding mixture with some Tootsie Rolls thrown on top to look like cat turds. Oh, and it's served in a (clean and unused) cat box and doled out with a pooper scooper. See, I can't serve that to just anyone, it would have to be someone who has cats and would truly appreciate it. (Daphne, consider yourself warned.)

11 comments:

Daphne said...

We cannot wait for a Shitty Kitty confection. Bring it on.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat something served from a litter box. I'd have to really trust the person who made it.

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

......I can't believe you post pics and not the recipe! That's torture! Good thing someone else on the internet already ripped her off! I was able to find the recipe by googling GubGub brownies. Coincidentally your blog post is like the second thing on the google search list. :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are a tease....I'm off to follow Gumbo Soul's lead. My kids are begging for sweets (I'm finally out of the garage! so maybe).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

yum-o.
the kitty litter box I wouldn't be thrilled to eat for some reason. The ole saying you eat with your eyes as much as you mouth comes to mind on that one. Although I love the sound of that recipe even more than gub gub brownies. So maybe....

D'Arcy said...

HA! I totally thought of Daphne as I was reading the description of the Shitty Kitty confection!

Run Lori Run said...

I made the cat box cake (different recipe) two years ago for my husband's birthday and people LOVED IT! I have a photo and it looks disgusting. People open the front door and there's a cat box on the dining room table...

I have to check out the book- gub gub brownies look just like my thing. :)

Maria Rose said...

Oh you have to post photos of that!

Daddy Dinky's Scattered Daughter said...

The Shitty Kitty Confection sounds hilarious! I'd love to have that sitting on the counter when I have some of my more wacky friends over for dinner...perhaps with our two cats sitting nearby. Heheheheee

Dysfunctional Mom said...

This was just mean. I was all ready for the recipe, I even have some chocolate chips in the pantry. MEAN!

My BFF made one of those kitty litter cakes once. I just can't eat it, it turns my stomach! But they are hilarious.

Dani said...

That book sounds hilarious.

And those brownies are exquisite looking.

I'll skip the litter box treat. Now that we have cats, I find no humor in that object.