Thursday, May 5, 2011

Completely Mundane Randomness

*Last month I shaved my head. I kept meaning to tell you all that but for some reason never got around to it. Beforehand, I made this semi-big deal about it on Facebook. Like, should I do it/should I not? Then when Jay finally shaved my head it was sort of anti-climactic because it wasn't that much shorter than my usual pixie cut. I guess that's why I never mentioned it, it seemed uninteresting.

*Jay and I watched Back Swan the other night. Eh. Maybe I've just seen too many movies but I was completely underwhelmed by the lackluster storyline of this film. The acting was great but I really wanted more from the whole movie, especially the ending. As I sit here I can't really even think about any memorable scenes. As a side note: Everyone in that movie is really, really skinny so don't watch it if you're having a fat day. Jay made comments to me more than once about this, saying things like, "I don't think anyone in this movie weighs enough to get their period." Or, during a scene when Natalie Portman's character is seen vomiting into a toilet he said, "Oh you're throwing up? It must have been that half a grapefruit you ate two days ago." That's my guy.

*I really need a job. Not just for the obvious reasons of helping my husband provide for our family and bettering ourselves financially, but for the less obvious reason that if I don't find something semi-productive with which to occupy my time outside of the house, someone is gonna get stabbed. Back in Florida, when I had a huge house, I stayed busy all day and the fact that I didn't work wasn't really an issue. But here, our apartment is small and with regular upkeep it can be cleaned in a matter of minutes. So then I'm left trying to figure out how to fill the other 23 1/2 hours of the day. Of course, the girl is with me most of the day, so I spend a lot of time entertaining her, but really, she's not an infant and she doesn't need constant oversight. I try to stay busy with my hobbies and books but I'm definitely feeling the need for MORE. Not sure what MORE is but I hope I find it soon.

The sad irony of all this is that the time in my life when I want to work the most, it's logistically just not possible. Jay's schedule changes weekly and at times can be odd and hard to work around (ex: tomorrow he works from 4 AM until noon). Then there is the girl's 2 1/2 hour school day. These two factors incredibly limit what hours I can work. So, the plan is to start actively looking for a job when the school year is over and the boy can babysit. Then next year the girl will have a longer school day and we'll possibly utilize the after school program at her school, thus giving me an entire day to work. Like a normal person. Just thinking about this makes me giddy.

*To fill some of the many hours of my unwanted free time, I've taken to watching episodes of Law and Order, which, if you have access to enough channels, is on in some form at all times. Not only have I gotten good at figuring out who committed the crime and why, but now I'm starting to pick up on continuity errors within scenes. This would be sort of exciting if someone was around at the time for me to share this with, but sadly it's just the pets and they don't care about my sharp eye. And frankly, I try not to talk to the pets too much because I'm worried that in my severely bored mental state, that would propel me into a level of crazy I'm not quite ready to own up to yet.

16 comments:

Dani said...

Still waiting on the pictures...

I would love to take some time off from working. You want to sublet?

M.J. Fifield said...

I actually saw Black Swan in the theater and I had pretty much the same reaction to it-- especially the ending.

Tammie said...

dani: it's funny isnt it? i desperately want what you have and you wouldnt mind some time with what i have.

Tammie said...

m.j.: yes, i found the ending incredibly frustrating.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow. shaved your head huh? You are brave. I went through the horrible process of growing out a pixie cut and not so thrilled with the long hair. I wish I could just shave my head like you did. I am not that brave a woman.Kudos to you!

I did not see the movie but have read no good reviews....but I must say I just love Jay!! Each time you write about him I love him more. He into cougars?? :-)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are a brave soul shaving your head. They did this on St. Baldrick's Day in my kids' school -- going bald to raise money for cancer.

And about the job front, good luck with that search. There are days I wish I didn't have to work, but it's a necessity here -- especially with two kids soon to be in college.

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

I too am impressed by the shaving of your head... but then, if my hair is cut past my shoulders I start freaking out. LOL

Good luck with the job thing. Sometimes I think I want to go back to work.... and then I have a good chuckle and get over it. LOL

Tammie said...

peggy: ha! im pretty sure jay is 'into' whoever leaves him alone and doesnt nag him. :) he's easy that way.

theresa: your kids are younger and you have your hands full. a few years back i couldnt imagine going back to work, but now my kids just dont need me in that immediate way anymore.

Jessie B said...

Look up a funky/crunchy store that you can sell wares to. Maybe create something?

I go crazy being bored. And what the hell is up with the 2.5 hour Kindergarten day? That's whack! Unless you chose that schedule, in which case that's whack!

Library! You could work with books!

Tammie said...

jessie: believe me, i didnt choose it! and yes, it totally sucks and it is totally whack.

i looked at the library and they arent hiring. but ive deicided in a month or so when i can really start seriously looking for a job, im pretty much going to go around begging someone to hire me. that's how you get a job right? ;)

Daphne said...

I'm with Dani; let's trade for a month or two!

I totally want to see Black Swan but now I wonder.

Job: maybe you could find some kind of interesting part-time retail job in a funky store, just to get your feet wet, while you think about what you *really* want to do. Or sign up with a temp agency; lots of times the company will hire you if they like you. That's how I got started here in CA.

Tammie said...

daphn: these are great suggestions and im definitely considering a temp agency.

theres a also a job placement place not far from my apt that i intend to visit.

black swan: the acting is really good so it may be worth it to see it just for that. but the story will definitely leave you wantnig more.

Maria Rose said...

Shaved head, nice!

What about online writing/editing work?

Jessie B said...

I love L&O! I totally know what you mean about figuring out who done it. Look at your cat, do you have a cat? Look at your imaginary cat and pretend it's me. We'll chat.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I think I'd rather see pictures of your head than the movie. The temp idea is great...and it's a nice way to check out if you like a company without the commitment.

Meredith said...

High-five on the head shaving!

Black Swan was a "meh" for me, too. I wanted to like it 'cause I love Darren Aaronovsky, but so much of the plot seemed like cookie-cutter suspense crap.

And the girls in it are skinny! The Boy is always complaining that he's too sinewy/muscly to properly pass as a girl, so during Black Swan I pointed at Natalie Portman and said "See, sweetie? Girls can be as angular as you are." True story.

I hope you find work soon, or at least some other way to not get stabby!