Thursday, May 26, 2011

Anniversary of The Big Move

The anniversary of the big move was a few weeks back so it should come as no surprise that I've been finding myself dwelling not only on all that was accomplished within the last year but also what we left behind and how we hope to better our lives in the future.I remain so amazed that we were able to do it all. I know of a lot of people who still live within the same general vicinity of the place where they grew up, so to think that I'm now living closer to Canada than I am to my birthplace, leaves my brain rattled a bit. (I know, I'm simple.)

Given that I've had a year to think about it, I sat down and tried to make a list of some of the things I missed about Florida:

*My clothesline. I don't plan on living on the second floor of an apartment building forever, but even if I had my own house with my own yard, a clothesline wouldn't get much use here. Occasionally, yes, and especially during the summer months, but mostly it's just too wet and gray.

*Thunder. Oregon has thunder, but it's kind of a joke. (Sorry Oregon, I still love you though.) In fact, it took me months to realize that what I was hearing was in fact thunder at all. For the first six months we lived here I just thought someone off in the near distance was getting some roofing work done. Then it occurred to me that it was Oregon's idea of thunder. Yeah, the thunder in the south could totally kick its ass. But then again, southern thunder is usually accompanied by winds that could blow your house away and torrential downpours that flood streets, making rednecks think it's okay to float their canoe down the street, so you take the good with the bad.

*My compost bin. Okay, I know this one technically doesn't count because I could have one in Oregon, just not on my balcony. I'm sure my downstairs neighbors wouldn't appreciate it.

And.......... that's all I got. Three things. Really, only two things because I'm sure I'll get a compost bin again one day. So no, I don't regret the move. I mean, I didn't think I would regret it, but before we moved there were a lot of naysayers (none of you kind people) who were certain that within a year we'd be jumping at the chance to move back to Florida.

So much has happened in Florida that would have had a huge impact on our lives had we chosen to stay. The boy's best friend moved to West Virginia. My best friend will be on her way to her new home in Indiana tomorrow, and Jay's close golfing buddy moved to Pennsylvania. It's amazing how quickly things can change. I'm glad we left when we did because I wouldn't want to be the person being left behind.

Not only would our social circle have changed, but it's quite possible Jay's work situation would have changed as well. No job is ever 100% secure, but since we've left, certain things have happened at that location that would have kept us on edge had we stayed. Here, Jay really has no day to day worries about his job.

As for me, I'm job hunting. Having been out of the workforce for so long, I'm scared. But excited. I'm so eager to work. I have some applications to fill out, and having talked to a few employers this morning, I'm feeling good about the reception I got. But, I'll be glad when the actual job hunting is over.

Looking back over the past few years I feel as if our lives were on hold while we were in Florida and we didn't begin to truly live until we left. The move has forced us to put ourselves out there and push ourselves in ways we didn't have to before.I guess only time will tell if the move was a good decision, but if you ask me, we've already come out on top.

(All photos were taken at Portland's lovely and lush Forest Park.)

11 comments:

just me said...

having lived in washington my whole life I love the inland northwest. Have traveled many places but we got it all here, hot, sandy beaches, rainforests, woods still filled with trees, and lots and lots of lakes, rivers and streams. I love reading your blog you are a true honest spirit with a great humorist twist on it.Now if I ever win the lottery we would be neighbors for the first place I would move is Portland until I found the perfect beach house! :)

Maria Rose said...

I can't believe it has been over a year already! I love the pacific NW. I think you most definitely made the right decision

Daphne said...

Yay!! I am so glad and so impressed that you moved! You guys were so brave and it paid off. Plus, we got to meet! Now, you need to come down here for a visit. :)

When I was growing up, believe it or not, we didn't have a dryer. But we did have lots of indoor clothes racks. Bleah.

Oregon's thunder sucks. The first time I went to Ontario, Canada, there was a HUGE thunderstorm and it was so cool!! I'm always sort of bummed about the lackluster storms we get here. However, it's nice not to have your house blown away, so there's that.

kraftykash said...

Wow! That year went FAST! I am so happy for all of you that things are going good. You have a beautiful family and I am thrilled to call you a friend.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I think you made a good move. No make that a great move. Life does -- indeed -- chug along. People will always come and go in our lives. You made a move that seems to be agreeing with your whole family. I wish I were as brave.

Good luck with that job search.

hester said...

I agree....you guys were so brave. I love the story of your move - such a happy ending.

jessie b said...

Yep, you guys rock! I love the PNW. Doubt I'll ever move away. Congrats!

Run Lori Run said...

Good luck on the job search, keep us posted!

Dani said...

I can't believe it's been a year already!

Happy anniversary. May your list of things missed only shrink.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - congratulations on your first year under your belt!

This really made me think about all my moves and how I grew from them and in the different ways. It really opened a long conversation with hubby about this as well. Thanks for that!

lieslmade said...

I'm envious of you folks who are brave enough to pick and move cross country. I still live in the same house I grew up in...
If I could live anywhere (in the US) it would be the North Atlantic or Pacific North West. I love seeing the photos you post!
Happy Anniversary. Wishing you many more years of happiness! :)